Cornish caves?

Coxie

Hi Folks,

I had my first caving experience last week over at Pridhamsleigh and it was awesome... I have another 6 trips booked in early next year planning to take in Prid a couple more times, Bakers Pit and Swildons.

I live in Redruth, Cornwall and I have searched various forums to find out if there's anything in my local area...

Am I right in thinking that my closest subterranean paradise is Southern Devon or are there some well kept secrets closer to home?!?

Any Info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

graham

Hi Coxie and welcome to the site.

Sadly, for you, the geology of Cornwall is not exactly conducive to cave formation. As you rightly say, however, there is plenty of good stuff not so far away in Devon.

Christian_Chourot

graham said:
there is plenty of good stuff not so far away in Devon.

When were all these good caves discovered? Why didn't anyone tell me!? I thought that there were only 3 good ones, one of which has fluorescent lighting, wheelchair access and bear sound effects.

Brains

Although Cornwall is lacking natural caves, it is blessed with thousands of underground sites of interest in the form of the old mines. These may not be of interest to you, or again they maybe - there is a lot of common ground in the exploration of both. From my limited knowledge of the mines there, most will require the use of ropes to a greater or lesser degree, and the ability to cope with hazards like false floors, rotting timbers, bad air, etc...
Check out some of the content and pics on the mine exploration sites such as http://www.aditnow.co.uk/default.aspx or http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/default.asp. If it is only the natural that flicks your switch, you will have to put with commuting up the A30...

D

Dear Noel Axle

Christian, you have been missing out.  Get yourself a copy of Concise Caves of Devon and enjoy!

AH

graham

Christian_Chourot said:
graham said:
there is plenty of good stuff not so far away in Devon.

When were all these good caves discovered? Why didn't anyone tell me!? I thought that there were only 3 good ones, one of which has fluorescent lighting, wheelchair access and bear sound effects.

Coo, it didn't have the bear sounds when I were last there. Must go again.

Christian_Chourot

Dear Noel Axle said:
Concise Caves of Devon

Concise? The book or the caves?  :tease:

Can I have a to do list? I've only been to Baker's pit and I know Prid is supposed to be good but other than that? I live near Exeter when I'm not at uni so I would like to find some good caves in Devon!

graham

There is a copy of that book in our Library but I would not rely on it, it's long out of date and wasn't particularly good on the details even when new. I can find you some hilarious reviews of it, when it was first published.

Coxie

Dear Noel Axle said:
Christian, you have been missing out.  Get yourself a copy of Concise Caves of Devon and enjoy!

AH

Is this book out of print? I can't seem to find it anywhere, plenty of references though.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will check out those links too... Mines sound a bit dodgy to me though!

Paul

J

JasonL

well.. just across the river tamar....... in plymouth.. theres Radford.. i like radford.. and afton red rift.

Otherwise its just mines galore.. theres a certain charm to mines.. death charm.

Go cave with PCG (Plymouth caving group) they're an awesome bunch. Very tolerant even when i called them old folks. :halo: .. they cave on tuesday evenings.

- young punk from manchester.

pete h

You could also try the Devon SS  Les W and mrodoc could help you with contact names and address.

rhychydwr1

Caves of Devon.  Yes there is a book.  Just revised and reprinted.  But I am not allowed to tell you about it  :mad:

Coxie

rhychydwr1 said:
Caves of Devon.  Yes there is a book.  Just revised and reprinted.  But I am not allowed to tell you about it   :mad:

Sounds a bit cloaks and daggers to me...  I do however think that I have found said book and am looking forward to recieving it.
:tease:

Coxie

Christian_Chourot said:
Dear Noel Axle said:
Concise Caves of Devon

Concise? The book or the caves?  :tease:

Can I have a to do list? I've only been to Baker's pit and I know Prid is supposed to be good but other than that? I live near Exeter when I'm not at uni so I would like to find some good caves in Devon!

I would also appreciate a to do / tick list if anyone has any suggestions.

gus horsley

Hi Coxie

I live in Newquay.  Sorry I can't take you underground (disability) but there are a number of groups who may be able to help, eg Plymouth Caving Group.  You could check out the Devon and Cornwall Underground Council website.

There's a few mines which only require basic equipment such as Cligga and adits near St Just but the majority of serious trips involve SRT etc.

There are no "proper" caves (limestone) in Cornwall but there are a few impressive sea caves which occasionally lead into mine workings such as Seal Hole (St Agnes) and Wheal Coates (also St Agnes). 

Coxie

Les W said:
gus horsley said:
There are no "proper" caves (limestone) in Cornwall

That's not strictly true Gus, the Consise Caves of Devon gives two limestone caves in Cornwall, Empacombe caves no's. 1 & 2.
Maybe not worth the commute but certainly worth a thought if passing (although where you were headed if you were passing is beyond me)

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=244425&y=52705&z=0&sv=sx44425270&st=5&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

Are they worth a look then?  I work in and around Plymouth.

Les W

Caves are always worth a look  (y)
However, the Concise Caves of Devon (Including Cornwall  :LOL: ) says:

Empacombe Caves
Cremyll, Cornwall

2 caves in a disused quarry, on the south bank of the Hamoaze, in the only outcrop of Middle Devonian Limestone in Cornwall.

Empacombe Cave No 1.
NGR SX 4442/5270 L 20 feet

A single solution tube which dips down to a sump, too tight after 10 feet

Empacombe Cave No 2.
NGR SX 4442/5270 L 50 feet

Above and to the left of Empacombe Cave No 1. An awkward entrance passage leads to a low chamber 12 feet long and 2 feet high. Another chamber with a pool adjoins and a passage heads towards the surface.

ACCESS - Permission to visit should be obtained from Empacombe Farm

My gut feeling is that you would only visit them once  ;)
But I might be wrong...

twiglet

Hi Coxie,If you go to Holywell (between Perranporth & Newquay) there is an interesting sea cave with pink gour pools towards the northern end of the beach. It has a small stream emerging.Some of the caves on Perranporth beach are longer than the average sea cave and may have been mined. If you do visit them,go with a couple of mates,and dont get cut off by the tide !