Help Diagnosing Scurion Repair

felixrulz

Hi. I'm actually from Australia, caving in Canada (Vancouver Island) at the moment. Hoping to get over to the UK for some caving some time... anyway, I was reading this post: https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=21812.0 and it seems like there has been a number of people who have had a similar problem in the past...

I have a Scurion 900 and have been extremely happy with it over the years I have had it. Unfortunately I had a problem with it on my caving trip today...

When I unplugged my battery from the charger, the white female connector from the light came off.
I pushed the cables back in and plugged the battery in. No dice. And then tried the cables the other way 'round. Still not working.
I did some reading and it sounds like there isn't reverse polarity protection built in, so I fear I put the cables in wrong the first time.
So, basically my question is: what should I do now? Did I break something? Hopefully I can fix this myself as I am in Canada at the moment, and as far as I know there isn't even a Scurion dealer here...

I checked the voltage of my battery with a multimeter and it was registering a voltage. But wasn't really sure what to do next. Any help would be great!

Cheers.

Leclused

Do you have access to another battery to rule out if it is the lamp or battery.

Imo I  think you have a blowed up circuit in the battery. I had one a similar problem with a stenlight battery.

felixrulz

Leclused said:
Do you have access to another battery to rule out if it is the lamp or battery.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a Scurion here. I might send one out to the VICEG list server (Vancouver Island Cave Exploration Group) to see if anyone does have one.

Leclused said:
Imo I  think you have a blowed up circuit in the battery. I had one a similar problem with a stenlight battery.

I think you might be right, but I don't know enough about these batteries...
If I measure the voltage from the terminals I get 7.57V.
However if I plug the battery into the charger, the green LED does not change to red.
I don't think the battery is fully charged, but if it is I guess it would stay green(?).... so not 100% if this helps...

I looked at the wires pretty carefully and they looked both black to me. But then a friend had a look and spotted some numbering!
My question now would be: which one is positive and which is negative? I can then try connecting the battery again.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 134
  • PA010010_2.JPG
    PA010010_2.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 126
  • PA010019_small.JPG
    PA010019_small.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 128
  • PA010020_small.JPG
    PA010020_small.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 133

royfellows

I assume 2 series LiIons which would be 8.4 V fully charged, approximately.

Low voltage disconnect should be at 5.4V, again approximately.

Polarity will be indicated by your multi meter, either a 'straight' voltage, if that is the correct word, or a minus voltage if connected in reverse.

Charger fail could be bad contact, unless you totalled it by first attempt reverse connection. This is doubtful as it probably has a series diode.

cavemanmike

A friend of mine reversed the polarity on my scurion a while ago and blew the circuit.
Ben sorted it out for me

felixrulz

Firstly: Yay! Somewhat successful... I think this should help diagnose the issue. It confirms that my lamp is good in any case!
Still one small problem to iron out..

Minion said:
On my Scurion 1500, Cables are:

Red : 2
Black : 1

Hope this helps

M

Thanks Minion, that helped a lot.
I have put some red tape on one of the wires and black on the other so I can't get them confused. (Thanks Minion).

Anyway, here are my findings:

Connecting the battery to the lamp normally, the light does not turn on. There is 7.57V across the terminals when the lamp is not connected, but a little less than 1V when the lamp is connected.

However, I got the lamp to light when I left the +ve in the JST connector and pulled the black (-ve) wire out from the JST connector and put it directly to the battery.
Note, that if I do this in reverse, (leave the -ve in the JST connector, pull the +ve out and put it onto the battery) the lamp also doesn't light.

This leaves me to believe that there is something wrong with some of the electronics within the battery pack. Does anyone know if there is a fuse I can replace?

cavemanmike said:
A friend of mine reversed the polarity on my scurion a while ago and blew the circuit.
Ben sorted it out for me

I think you have probably guessed the issue. I have been in contact with Ben who has given me some advice... I think posting batteries is usually a bit of a problem in North America...

felixrulz

Benfool said:
already in touch with him :)

B

Yes, I appreciate all the help you have given me.

Just to give everyone an update. I have ordered a spare battery and also some parts in an attempt to repair my battery back.