Anyone know anything about this cave?

Went out for a bit of a walk yesterday. Went up Coombes Dale as far as Black Harry Gate, then followed Black Harry Lane up and over past the quarry (Darlton quarry). In the very bottom part of the quarry approaching Eyam Dale the footpath goes to the right of the quarry "road" - there is a sign saying stay on the path. Just here there was an obvious fairly large cave entrance heading into reasonable sized passage. Anyone know if it goes? Anyone had a look? Does it have a name? I'm thinking of going for a better look.
Dan.

Mark

Eyup dan

Had a look at this years ago, actually its quite interesting, it was first noticed by a local lad Robert Ashton when it was exposed by machines.
The large entrance leads through quite a big vestibule, which gradually decreases in height towards the back end, this in turn leads to a short stooping walk which emerges into a large chamber with various digs in the roof a further stretch of walking passage leads under a high aven with a small waterfall coming from an impenetrable inlet. just beyond, the passage rises to the top of a steep slope, an inlet on the left can be followed quite a way before becoming too tight.
Dropping down the steep slope a large stream is met which can be followed downstream for some distance to a sump, straight on at the bottom of the slope (upstream) a walking passage can be followed for quite a way under several avens which have all been climbed, one leads to another entrance but access is not allowed. the passage eventually splits one ends in a sump and the other goes to a high aven which has been climbed to various bits of passage, the main passage carries on to a duck, beyond this, the passage continues for some distance with various passages and chambers going off, ..... sorry I lied, its really a grotty Stoney Middleton remnant of silt filled phreatic tube that doesnt go anywhere, we called it Roberts Cave I dont think its worth digging, but there is a lot of stuff waiting to be found on that side of the valley, sorry about the wind up, does the description sound familiar anyone

Mark

M

Miss Mendus

I thought you went looking for mushrooms, Dan??? Or is there a connection?? :twisted: :LOL:

hrock

good wind up is it a discription of some were or just in your head and ether way what are the sumps like and the water flow too but if it is just in your head make it good.