Cave sediment question

andywebman

During recent excavations at a cave near the village of Casterton, Cumbria we have come across an interesting sequence of what I think are fluvio-glacial sediments. (See latest Descent 263. p14, Opening Slab Pot). Is there anyone who could help confirm what these are or would be interested in examining them etc. They are not far underground and the cave is right next to the road.

wl

wl

wl

Attachments

• banded-sediments.jpg
    banded-sediments.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 445
  • sediments 3.jpg
    sediments 3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 177
  • sediments2.jpg
    sediments2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 172

AR

Have you been in touch with the BCRA? It reminds me of some inwashed sand sediments I came across in a local mine that had cut natural.

Andy Farrant

Clearly sands washed in by water, but hard to say if glacial or stream washed just from photos. Quite possibly injected by glacial meltwater, much like the sediments in Aggy or OFD 2. Given its location and catchment, its not surprising that there is a lot of sandy sediment fill. Keep an eye open for paragenetic wall notches and phreatic pendants which might suggest the cave was still active when the sediment was emplaced. I hope your not intending a total excavation, it would be best to keep a few nice representative sections, as someone may wish to take a look in future.

andywebman

AR said:
Have you been in touch with the BCRA? It reminds me of some inwashed sand sediments I came across in a local mine that had cut natural.

Who to speak to in BCRA. Not much point in making general requeast