Christmas Cracker Fact

ttxela

Last night some youngsters in our house pulled the last of the christmas crackers. Along with the poor jokes inside there were "interesting facts". One claimed that "bats always turn left when leaving a cave".

Is there any truth in this?

andys

Google "bats turn left" and see the plethora of responses to this question. None, however, appears to be very scientific so I guess this is just an urban myth, possibly compounded into the old coriolis effect debate!

Amy

I've watched a large bat flight out of a cave (Sauta Cave, has over 200,000 gray bats) and really the way out is up but some angled right some angled left some flew up straight...once up above the treeline again it was all directions. So...guessing myth. I mean for an "always" as soon as you spot one it's disproven and I've definitely seen more than one turn right...or go straight!

kay

Research has established that Museum visitors turn left on entry to a room. So maybe it's amammal thing rather than a purely bat thing? :tease:

Fulk

Maybe (if true) it has something to do with the fact that we read, and therefore scan things, from left to right. But I believe that not all reading systems work this way . . . maybe people who read from right to left turn right on entering a museum? ;)

langcliffe

"An Analysis of Visitor Circulation: Movement Patterns and the General Value Principle" by Stephen Bitgood does not actually support the turn left tendency.:

Visitor movement at first appears chaotic. Some studies have found high rates of turning right at choice points, others have not. Some studies have found random-seeming movements through exhibitions, others have observed predictable walking patterns.

andys

This could be similar to the thorny question of how people arrange their milk bottles in their fridge. Personally, I put the newer bottles on the right since they tend to get used from the left. I know I'm not alone, but not sure how widespead this phenomena is. I did once propose to do some PhD research to study the above in more detail - but for some reason, was unable to attract any funding.

Bob Smith

I have read a paper at work suggesting the a fighter pilot will instinctively swerve up and left to avoid incoming fire, and have to be trained not to be so predictible. I'll dig it out once I get back to work next week  :tease:

kay

Bob Mehew said:
kay said:
Research has established that Museum visitors turn left on entry to a room.

can you cite the source?

'Fraid not. I was told it by the chap who was employed by the Museum to analyse visitor behaviour with a view to designing more effective exhibits, but he died suddenly about 30 years ago, so I can't ask him for his source. But having just read one of Bitgood's papers (thanks Langcliffe) I see he quotes Melton as saying they turn right. So it is possible that I've got it the wrong way round. I know I started making a point of turning the "wrong" way whenever I went into an exhibition, so I've probably got myself completely confused.

Bob Mehew

kay said:
'Fraid not.

thanks.  I must admit that I sense that the behaviour of humans as well as bats is probably dependent upon many factors.  Going back to the original questions on bats, one such factor could be the movement of air outside the cave.  But if a bat knows that food is more frequently found to the left than the right, then that is possibly the predominating factor.  Just the same as I drift to the left on entering the Shrewsbury Tesco because that is where the food is, where as I drift to the right in the Southport Tesco because the store is laid out the other way around!  Sounds like an experiment for someone to monitor people's choices at an initial T junction after entry into a maze.  Though I doubt if one would get permission to do it with bats.

Pitlamp

Mate of mine, who has been studying cave bat roosts in the Dales for a very long time, tells me  there's no evidence that bats turn left.