'Caves' of the Avon Gorge

bagpuss

Hi All,
Not specifically Mendip, but probably the best place to ask this question. I recently obtained a copy of the Rodway School Caves of Mendip - had a nose round the Nightingale Valley side of the gorge this afternoon, managed to find  Skeleton Cave but not much else. Looked for quite a while to find Rodway Ruckle, couldn't locate it and got v stung in the process! Also got to quarry 5 where some of the caves are but it was getting dark and looks hard to access, esp as one of the descriptions noted that the cave was 65ft up a steep slope so we headed back at that point.

I wondered firstly if anyone has had any success in finding any of the caves & if so which one's. Also wondered if anyone would like a trip to have a nose in some more of them (ideally someone who has been there before or who has GPS and a better sence of direction than me!)

Thanks in advance!

graham

bagpuss, might be worth talking to the relevant registrar on the Mendip Cave Registry. The MCRA website will tell you who that is.

bagpuss

Thanks Graham, I'll give that a shot if I get no further responces. My main interest (aside from burning curiosity!) would be to photograph the 'caves/shelter's' which I guess may be of use to the archive if they wanted them.

graham

bagpuss said:
Thanks Graham, I'll give that a shot if I get no further responces. My main interest (aside from burning curiosity!) would be to photograph the 'caves/shelter's' which I guess may be of use to the archive if they wanted them.
I am aware that the gentleman concerned still needs to visit some of them to check NGRs and various details and I reckon he'll be happy for an excuse to get some of that done. You can tell him I suggested it.

Les W

graham said:
I am aware that the gentleman concerned still needs to visit some of them to check NGRs and various details and I reckon he'll be happy for an excuse to get some of that done. You can tell him I suggested it.

I'm sure he will love you for it.  :chair:

graham

Les W said:
graham said:

I'm sure he will love you for it.  :chair:

Well, I've just told him I can't go digging with him tomorrow.  :cautious:

Cookie

Graham, I think you are getting your Registrars mixed up - I had no plans to dig tomorrow.  :)

Bagpuss, I would love to team-up and compare notes. I've found quite a few of them but as Graham says I need to find them all.

graham

Cookie said:
Graham, I think you are getting your Registrars mixed up - I had no plans to dig tomorrow.  :)

Bagpuss, I would love to team-up and compare notes. I've found quite a few of them but as Graham says I need to find them all.

Sorry Cookie I thought Tony was Bristol registrar.  :-[

bagpuss said:
Not a very useful one as it only shows the insides of the caves and gives no info aside from a grid ref.

Hi bagpuss - I probably have mentioned this to you before .. but I posted the kml (which can be browsed using googleearth) of their locations I scraped from their web site on the dark place .. here is a link to the kml I put on our clubs web site .. the original post gives more information on how the kml was obtained (but if I linked to it would be censored).

bagpuss

Cookie said:

Hi Cookie,
Sorry for the delayed responce, only just had a chance to recheck this thread. I'll send you a pm,

Ruth

Pete

bagpuss said:
Hi All,
Not specifically Mendip, but probably the best place to ask this question. I recently obtained a copy of the Rodway School Caves of Mendip - had a nose round the Nightingale Valley side of the gorge this afternoon, managed to find  Skeleton Cave but not much else. Looked for quite a while to find Rodway Ruckle, couldn't locate it and got v stung in the process! Also got to quarry 5 where some of the caves are but it was getting dark and looks hard to access, esp as one of the descriptions noted that the cave was 65ft up a steep slope so we headed back at that point.

I wondered firstly if anyone has had any success in finding any of the caves & if so which one's. Also wondered if anyone would like a trip to have a nose in some more of them (ideally someone who has been there before or who has GPS and a better sence of direction than me!)

Thanks in advance!

Have GPS can lend it to you if you want or if you're doing the trip of a warm summers evening will travel!

bagpuss

Being given a GPS for Christmas, so I think I might spend an afternoon before new year having a nose around with it seeing what I can find  (y)

bagpuss

Can someone put me out of my misery and tell me where the hec Cobweb Cave is? Made it to the right quarry twice, first time without GPS we were searching on the wrong side, this time with GPS, got us into the right vicinty but no amount of searching could find it. Would be usful to know how high up the quarry side it is if anyone knows?! The GPS wouldn't work all that well in the quarry what with the tree cover and steep sides. All I have to show from our adventures is lousy tick bites!

NB we were searching from the bottom of the quarry upwards, I'm wondering if it would perhaps be better to approach from the top end?

http://www.mcra.org.uk/registry/sitedetails.php?id=1821

To quote from Caves of the Bristol Region by Mockford and Male (1974)

Cobweb Cave 5590 7330 - L = 15.5m. One of the longest caves on the south side of the Avon Gorge. It is situated in the SW corner of Quarry No. 2. It consists of a rather muddy passage which ends in a choke. Ref. Caves of the Avon Gorge Part 1.

Note the diference in NGR -

Mockford = 5590 7330
Registry = 5590 7440

I would be grateful if you could let me know which is correct.

bagpuss

Hmm will have to try more into the corner of the quarry next time. Anyone else have any suggestions/want to try finding it with me? I'll also give the other grid ref a shot too.