Beyond the Sumps of Stoke Lane Slocker

rhychydwr1

Cave diver Dave Watts is back with a video showing what lies beyond the sumps of Somerset?s Stoke Lane Slocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNDwg_chXdI

Filled with formations, the post-sump area of the cave is known as Stoke 2. It contains highly decorated chambers including the Upper Grotto, Traverse Grotto and the Throne Room

Les W

Pegasus said:
Fab formations - lucky divers....

Stoke two is available to non divers as well. Although it involves a nasty sump it is only a short freedive to get there...

mrodoc

After a brief glance I would say that was Stoke  Three and beyond. Now I really feel I should have gone there. Perhaps I will summon the energy to it before I get too decrepit.

ah147

Well now I have somewhere to go on the training camp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duncan Price

Much of the footage is of Stoke 3 and 4.  Sump 2 is tight at the downstream end and although only 10 m long not free-diveable.  Stoke 3 is one of the best decorated streamway under Mendip.  There is a potential bypass to Sump 2 best tackled from the downstream side as it is not at all obvious where it might connect with the large Bone Chamber in Stoke 2.  It really is not worth going beyond Stoke 5 - trust me.

Duncan Price

MJenkinson said:
ah147 said:
Well now I have somewhere to go on the training camp!

No, you have somewhere to go with me during Hidden Earth!

Either way give me a shout as I'd like the opportunity to snoop around 3 & 4 as I've usually been on a mission elsewhere.  Requires stable weather and I can recommend a visit to the high level chambers in 2 to everyone.

Cartwright26

Usually when things are described as "interesting" it means horrendously scary/tight/wet/scary/loose/dangerous/not very plesent. Well going by my caving buddys who say go down there its very pretty, and upon my return how the  (insert descriptive expletive) do i get back through this, well its interesting comes the reply!!!

The Old Ruminator

Stoke 3 is 10 metres high in places and apparently avens in Stoke 4 come very near the surface. Way back there were plans for a surface dig. The Bone Chamber in Stoke 2 is said to have a charcoal deposit though I have not seen it. I guess that sort of project is still feasible.

dugadig

The Old Ruminator said:
The link here will take you to Swildon's Hole survey and related surface features. For other caves including Stoke Lane Slocker use the drop down menu. Stoke 3/4 appears to be under a wooded depression by the road.

http://www.bdcc.co.uk/mendip3/mendip.htm?lat=51.257537&lon=-2.677059&lz=16&rz=15&lt=satellite&rt=Hide&lov=Caves&rov=None

This depression is the entrance our ancestors made into the cave at the upward boulder slope in Bone chamber, before sump 2.
I have always felt a bypass to sump 2 could be engineered here.
As Duncan has said it looks more obvious from the downstream side of 2 though.

A project for someone maybe? Why don't they just have a tiny bottle and respirator for these annoying sumps designed for capable cavers, without forking out a grand or so for expensive diving kit?  :confused:

dugadig

Apologies Old Ruminator, you were talking about above 3/4.

I thought Arachnid rift in the next quarry was dug in an attempt to reach this area? Can't remember how it went though?

dugadig said:
The Old Ruminator said:
The link here will take you to Swildon's Hole survey and related surface features. For other caves including Stoke Lane Slocker use the drop down menu. Stoke 3/4 appears to be under a wooded depression by the road.

http://www.bdcc.co.uk/mendip3/mendip.htm?lat=51.257537&lon=-2.677059&lz=16&rz=15&lt=satellite&rt=Hide&lov=Caves&rov=None
Why don't they just have a tiny bottle and respirator for these annoying sumps designed for capable cavers, without forking out a grand or so for expensive diving kit?  :confused:

You can get a 3 litre cylinder and a reg for a lot less than that of Ebay, especially if the cylinder is out of test. You then just need to find a way of filling it! (friendly diver / shop / CDG section)

ah147

dugadig said:
A project for someone maybe? Why don't they just have a tiny bottle and respirator for these annoying sumps designed for capable cavers, without forking out a grand or so for expensive diving kit?  :confused:

It doesn't start with expensive diving gear. It starts with a capable caver buying a tiny bottle and regulator, and soon it descends into this:

fe51b84aec64973d94548d54c13c0db3.jpg

The rest is currently in the van.

dugadig

ah147 said:
dugadig said:

It doesn't start with expensive diving gear. It starts with a capable caver buying a tiny bottle and regulator, and soon it descends into this:

fe51b84aec64973d94548d54c13c0db3.jpg

The rest is currently in the van.

Drinking Dr Pepper? .. Stuff that then!  :LOL:

Scoff

The Dr Pepper is probably left over from a party, where Ash clearly had lots of helium-filled balloons...

Scoff