Winnats Head Cave

J

Jonathan T

My mate is keen to go down Winnats Head Cave. I'm interested because it's described as "one of the greatest Derbyshire trips" but completely put off because of the huge boulder choke that "changes of its own accord and the whole area is very unstable".

Anyone done it and got any comments?

SamT

It is a great trip - but you must be 'comfortable' in chokes. It has moved in the past (note the place where the old ladder dissapears between two huge boulders). Its kinda fine though - so long as your careful and dont go pulling on any of the smaller stones that are holding the bigger ones in place.
Might be tricky to navigate through if you aint been before (I was with someone who had been before)

fox chamber is pretty awsome - watch out for the poached egg stal in the mud floor.

Down through the next choke - which is baically the floor of fox chamber at the bottom end. (watch out for the squeeze at the bottom - as you drop through - make sure you get your foot on sommat since there is about a 10 foot drop below you.

Through the sewer (wet squeeze).

The dodgy mallion/hanger have been replaced on the up pitch on the other side of the sewer but Id still be a bit careful with it.

Then at the stream - the down pitches require hangers/spanner. the up pitches - watch the ropes - they are getting old now.

Dont have an accident!
Enjoy. 8)

seamoose

The boulder choke in question hasn't moved for a while now.
- I've been through it quite a few times and feel relatively safe in there.

The final three pitches down to the terminal sump are well worth doing... 8)

J

Jonathan T

SamT said:
The dodgy mallion/hanger have been replaced on the up pitch on the other side of the sewer but Id still be a bit careful with it.

I like that, how do you be careful with a dodgy mallion / hanger? Assuming you still have to use it.

SamT

:|

Erm - send your lightest/stupidest caver up first to check it. dont carry a heavy bag with you, dont bounce up and down on the rope like your some kind of bungy nut.

SamT

I have heard mumblings about installing a pull through there. So one day, you wont have to worry.

mudmonkey

Re. the up pitches - how old is the rope up from the Sewer? And the other pitches up - is there much decent up there? I'm in the same position as JohnT - keen to do it but nervous :puppy:

SamT

Hard to say. definately worth going up from the sewer to the streamway - and although I havent done them - the pitches down in the stream are meant to be great. Upstream ropes are again of unknown vintage. We recently went up one of the ropes and the state of the krabs was scary - they just fell to bits in our hands - needless to say we replaced them but the hangars/spits were in a similarly dodgy state. There are a couple if digs in chokes at the top. Only worth going up if your interested in digging them.

SamT

Been in a couple of times recently and have re-assessed my original comments.

The chokes - although they havent moved for some time are looking a little bit more worrying. A small trickle flows down through the choke and is slowly washing areas out. A couple of places are of concern.
As for the ropes on the up pitches. They are old and the rigging leaves something to be desired i.e. rub points etc. Its basically just the original 'pushing' bolts etc. It has never been rigged with sports caving in mind. I pulled an old ring hanger out by hand the other day - sleave and all. :shock:

Dont let that put you off though. it certainly is a fine cave system. :)

one day, someone might get round to re-rigging it properly with the odd pull through etc. 8)

Stu

You know Sam? You're not helping my cause here!! :cry:

Can't someone lie andtell him it's a cake-walk!! :p

Imo

I would be cautious Jon if I were you. Is it not possible to go with someone who has been there before and will therefore know how much it has or has not shifted? Presumably the route through the choke is obvious?

Cakewalk? You have Mince-pies in your eyes!!!