What is bleeping down Oxlow!?

adz

Something is bleeping / beeping down Oxlow, I wasn't the only one who heard it so not noises in my head (they sound different)
I was last out and it was still beeping.....
Loudest at the top of West Swirl Passage.
Proper weird.

n?π

Are you sure it wasn't a mysterious ticking?

Potter Puppet Pals: The Mysterious Ticking Noise

Apologies for the tread jack.
We now return you to the whats bleeping down Oxlow thread...

Sensible guesses:
gass monitor?
lost mobile phone going flat?

How often were the beebs? regular like you'd get when something is telling you it is running or occasional like my phone dose to let you know it's going flat?

adz

reminded me of co2 meter beeping. But that could be just me rationalizing it as the most likely explanation.
1 beep every 5 min sorta thing. Hard to tell when your caving init.
Just glad it wasn't the 'voices'!

Littlemig

If you go to the Peak Park planning site  - ref; NPP/010/RT8J/666, you will see an application by Vodaphone to install mobile phone masts down caves disquised as stalactites. They percieve this as an untapped market and have placed monitors in a number of systems to test reception.  :LOL:

NigR

AndyF said:
Maybe it was one of those caver-spy devices like they have in Dreanan...

No, I don't think Stuart has been up to Derbyshire lately. Anyway, his devices don't beep. In fact they automatically camouflage themselves as part of the surrounding terrain - hi-tech black ops of the highest order!

A sound beacon at the Oxlow End of Jim's Crawl perhaps to help establish the connection to Nettle?

If it was loudest at the top of West Swirl Passage then it would be somewhere above you in the roof of East Chamber which sounds about right to me.....

Dan.

MarkC

Wikipedia suggested this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batfink#Super-sonic_sonar_radar) ...

"Bats use echolocation to detect their prey and home in on it. Batfink's radar was the superpower version of this and usually took the form of the letters "BEEP" (sometimes "BEEP BEEP") emanating from his mouth and then flying wherever he needed them to go, accompanied by a distinctive beeping noise".

...maybe its not a bat 'detector'... moreover a bat 'fink'?  :confused: