17 Ltr Mini Barrel

manrabbit

Just got back from a packaging show in the NEC where I came across a company selling drums very similar to the Curtec "Daren Drums". They are supposedly cheaper than the Curtec drums and with some online retailers selling Curtec drums at ?35.00 for a 15 ltr drum that isn't hard to believe. Took quite a good look at them and they have an O ring seal in the top and are of a similar quality to the Curtec ones..  http://www.waterbuttsnbottles.co.uk/prodtype.asp?CAT_ID=156

jarvist

You may not have seen it before, but the cheapest place I've found  for 'Daren Drums' (originally on ukcaving some years ago) is Key online:

http://www.key.co.uk/wide-neck-kegs_338462002010264760.html

Currently doing the 15L Curtec for ?17.50, free delivery, and the 3L and 6L 'caving' Daren drums for ?6.80 and ?9.60 respectively.
Once Key have your address they send you lots and lots of catalogues, and the occasional 50% off / ?50 off a ?100 order voucher.

The Curtec drums aren't quite the originals, they're roughly the same size but have a much coarser thread than the original 'Daren Drums' which I believe were made by Merck. I don't think they're as waterproof as you can't apply the same force to the gasket, and I've also seen a couple of fractured lids.

I think my favourite non-going-underground Daren drum size is the 10L one. It's super stable as it's wider than tall, and is just the right size + accessibility (as nothing can be buried too deep and you can get both hands in there for a fettle) for a base camp 1st aid kit.

Nattyc

Hi... Not sure if anyone is still interested but I've found another company who do similar Curtec Barrels... Its Amphorea Packaging Ltd (www.amphorea.co.uk) although the guys there have told me they are updating their website. but to give them a call if you need any help  ;) ;)

Rachel

Nattyc said:
Hi... Not sure if anyone is still interested but I've found another company who do similar Curtec Barrels... Its Amphorea Packaging Ltd (www.amphorea.co.uk) although the guys there have told me they are updating their website. but to give them a call if you need any help  ;) ;)

I've used their large drums for the past 3 years to store my caving gear in at the Gaping Gill winch meets. I've found them to be ideal - totally waterproof even when left on a windswept hillside for 3 weeks in the pouring rain and they have so far survived being thrown on and off tractors and rolled down hills. The only downside is that the top of the lid tends to form a pond and the big barrels are a bit heavy and awkward for one person to tip upside down and drain before opening.