"Caveproof" Map / Document Cases

Hi all

Anyone got any recommendations for map cases / document wallets that will look after surveys / descriptions on cave trips? Obviously waterproof and robust are key requirements.  Something that would take A4 paper but can be rolled up inside my oversuit / bag.

Cheers
Matt

Brains

Photocopy and laminate (hard) or encapsulate (soft). Found it best to roll rather than fold as the creases soon wear through and become unreadable.

crickleymal

I had a ziplok clear case which I think came from Aldi/Lidl which had a lanyard to go round the neck. It seemed quite robust.

Olaf

I think I've got an original Ortlieb map case, in any case one with velcro closure, which I do take underground occasionally. Tends to work quite well, but I find it magically attracts mud, usually in precisely the locations on the survey that we are most interested in and point to most. After a couple of years in use, most of it above ground, the plastic is getting a bit less transparent, but that's really the only negative I could possibly think of. Anyway, I wouldn't waste too much time on finding the best possible model, as long as it comes in a useful standard size. They are neither particularly sophisticated high-tech gear, nor expensive...

I use A4 punched pockets sealed along the top with duct tape. Flexible, waterproof and easy to store in a ring binder. Cost about 1p each if you buy 100 from Viking or Staples. (Other office suppliers are available).

caving_fox

I think I've got an original Ortlieb map case, in any case one with velcro closure, which I do take underground occasionally. Tends to work quite well, but I find it magically attracts mud, usually in precisely the locations on the survey that we are most interested in and point to most. After a couple of years in use, most of it above ground, the plastic is getting a bit less transparent, but that's really the only negative I could possibly think of.

This. ^^
Orlieb map case. You can get an A3 one which works very well for larger surveys.