Boreham Cave - a short film

Chris J

Hi all,

I recently completed a video edit of some forgotten footage from Boreham cave from around 10 years ago. I?ve given CDG members a preview of this and it has been well received and so I thought I?d share it here next. Sadly I didn?t complete this before David Hodgson passed away but Dave Ryall has now shared this with his family after attending David?s funeral this week.

PLEASE NOTE HOWEVER? this video is presently ?unlisted? that means that whilst the link can be shared, no one can browse online and find it. I?ve done this deliberately so that I can canvas opinions from cavers on whether it should be readily available online. Boreham is a sensitive site both from a conservation perspective and an access perspective. I?m mindful of the fact that I?m no longer a regular in the Dales (one day again perhaps) and that other might feel strongly about trying to keep this site under the radar (although there?s already another Boreham video on YouTube which doesn?t seem to have done any damage). 
From my perspective, I?ve completed something which took many hours of effort (years really) and the whole point of a video like this is for it to be watched so of course I?d like it to be available widely and certainly to the caving and cave diving community.

Taking into account the views of other cavers seems like a reasonable way forward. This isn?t a democracy so I could just ignore you all and do what I want anyway? but at least I?ll know where I stand and what you lot think!

p.s. I've also sent the landowner a copy of the video already.

https://youtu.be/fp84RjGfp7I

skippy

Fantastic film and so lovely to see the Dave Hodgdson interviews.
Thanks for posting (y)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely no harm in publishing more widely in my opinion as access officer.  Quite the opposite in fact.  The more cavers, divers and associated work is seen, it is normalised amongst the local communities.

However..  dispute of historical facts amongst caver divers is a very different matter, very different, but then again we all know that  :eek: ;)

nobrotson

Great film, really enjoyed it. Has Dave Hodgson's research in Lower Littondale been published anywhere? I don't remember reference to the 10 years of temperature and other data in Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales chapter on Littondale, but I don't have my copy here to check right now unfortunately.

Pitlamp

nobrotson said:
Great film, really enjoyed it. Has Dave Hodgson's research in Lower Littondale been published anywhere? I don't remember reference to the 10 years of temperature and other data in Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales chapter on Littondale, but I don't have my copy here to check right now unfortunately.

David left a huge archive of data stretching back decades. His family is in contact with his caving friends and we are hopeful that this material will be deposited somewhere suitable, in the fullness of time. Meanwhile anyone interested in David's life and speleological contributions will find the next CDG Newsletter (April 2021) of interest as it will contain a substantial tribute to him.

nobrotson

Pitlamp said:
David left a huge archive of data stretching back decades. His family is in contact with his caving friends and we are hopeful that this material will be deposited somewhere suitable, in the fullness of time. Meanwhile anyone interested in David's life and speleological contributions will find the next CDG Newsletter (April 2021) of interest as it will contain a substantial tribute to him.

I'll look out for the newsletter, cheers