Peak survey vector file for printing

coldandwet

Hi all

Quite a few years ago I bought an A1 (or A0?) paper print of the peak speedwell survey. It was a vector file print I think and scaled really well. I bought it from hitch n hike who I think printed them. I?ve lost it and it was quite battered and ripped anyway. Does anyone know how I could get the file so I can get a reprint at a similarly large size. It looks great on the wall (sort of art!). Assuming there are no copyright problems etc! Happy to pay or donation.

Cheers

Neil

nickwilliams

The Peak Speedwell Survey was digitised by John Beck. I am pretty certain I have a copy of the AutoCAD file in my archives, but it's not my copyright so I'm afraid I can't release it without input from others.

'Others' know who they are and will probably read this, so please would they let me know their thoughts about making the file available.

Fishes

Hi Nick

I'm pretty sure John would want you to share the file. He was working on making all his surveys available before events overtook him.

Julie

pwhole

I think DCA still have some printed copies of the H&H surplus in stock at the BCL, so hopefully Jenny can provide more info.

coldandwet

Brilliant. Thank you all. I was pondering getting it printed on canvas or fabric so it lasts a little longer.
Cheers
Neil

Rob

It's worth noting that John's version is quite out of date. I know people are working on bringing it uptodate, so it may be worth waiting a little while.  (y)

alastairgott

I am helping with the collaboration on this, we?ve had some input from a lot of people, but as you say it?s art! When?s a piece of art complete?

We had major problems picking up the straight speedwell canal using the software we have. The software is good, but with the four entrances it was placing all of the ?least squares? or statistics in the canal and buckling it.

We?ve done two trips into speedwell, surveying to 6-8m definition (survey legs of 6-8m), which should iron out some of the buckling. We want to resurvey to main rising and also to whirlpool to get a good elevation survey between the two, as this is where there is a some interest for the science lads.

Once we?ve ironed out these bits, hopefully in the coming months, we will have something to produce.

We talked on our Saturday trip into speedwell about releasing some small sections online, and asking for comments. If there were any specific sections you would like to see then I?m sure we could wizz them across to you.

I?ve also got a part of Titan I?d like to tidy up.

alastairgott

Speaking to one of the guys about the project today, we said that there's a line we need resurveying, I'm sure me or WS could do it, but it would be great to get some people involved who have done some surveying before but maybe haven't done any vertical pitches.

It's not too far into peak, indeed you wouldn't have to even get wet! Let me know if anyone's keen :)

Jenny P

Copies of the survey came to the British Caving Library as part of John Beck's legacy, he had about 50 ready-printed to be sold by Hitch 'n' Hike but they had closed by then so the copies were never used.  We gave away the last of these copies at Hidden Earth in 2019 in return for a donation to Library funds so, as far as I know, there are no more of the printed ones available now. 

John always intended that these copies should be available for anyone who wanted one so if you can find one online and can get it printed I'm sure that would be fine.  There may be one on the DCA website as John's surveys are being catalogued by volunteers at BCL and many have already been scanned for the DCA website.

We know this particular one now out of date but it is still well worth having on your wall so hope you can find one. 

Very much looking forward to seeing the new and updated version.

alastairgott

A Sneaky peak at Frozen in Time, Titan Streamway which still needs some work to get the labels right, and I need to actually go on a trip there. as i'm not confident about the corner called slopsville.

Or a look at the Grand day out at the end of the assault course, which needs more labels.

We've got a lot of the stuff there, it's just getting on and polishing bits off, I think I got distracted when we hit March and I was able to leave the house.

Attachments

• Frozen in time Tstreamway.png
    Frozen in time Tstreamway.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Grand day out AssaultC.png
    Grand day out AssaultC.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 313

Jenny P

coldandwet said:
Thanks Rob and hello! I must pop in and say hi  :)
I'll wait for the update!

Have now tracked down an autocad file of the original Peak/Speedwell compilation survey done by John Beck (thanks Nick) and have a contact who should be able to print it for you so it is still possible to obtain your own print of the original survey.  (The British Caving Library sold its last remaining copy of this old survey at Hidden Earth in 2019, we only have the Library's own reference copy now.)

If you do still want one, please PM me.

aardgoose

We also have a pdf version of John's autocad from December 2014 if that is more useful than an Autocad.

Text rendering is as if drawn by an old pen plotter.

DCA

aardgoose said:
We also have a pdf version of John's autocad from December 2014 if that is more useful than an Autocad.

This version was never published, it was John's final version before he passed away.

Text rendering is as if drawn by an old pen plotter.

Some of the historical Peak Speedwell Surveys including the one above, will be appearing on the www.peakdistrictcaving.info and www.peakspeedwell.info website's very soon, they should be on by the end of the week.

As Jenny Potts says, if anybody wants a printed version of the latest survey, this can be arranged via DCA.

I am intending to update the https://thedca.org.uk/ with the surveys that we have available for printing and these will be able to purchased via the website, if people want them.