More car break-ins on Mendip

ZombieCake

Rumour has it there were more car break-ins Mendip at the weekend.  Pretty nasty business.
Plod just doesn't seem to care about Joe public these days, so perhaps more direct action against the scum is needed, e.g better surveillance, hidden cameras, and observation at car boots, eBay, Facebook, etc. on a UK wide basis.

PeteHall

If this is more than just a rumour, sad news indeed.

I'd come to the conclusion that with the smart phone, the youth of today are too busy swiping left or right to bother breaking into a parked car.

That combined with the availability of new electronics knocking any value off second hand stuff and the fact that most electronics lock themselves and/or can be tracked.

Not to mention the in car electronics that prevent a joy ride...

That said, I guess the contactless card is an easy win...

Any more details? Where? When? What got taken?

SamT

PeteHall said:
If this is more than just a rumour, sad news indeed.
I'd come to the conclusion that with the smart phone, the youth of today are too busy swiping left or right to bother breaking into a parked car.
That combined with the availability of new electronics knicking any value off second hand stuff and the fact that most electronics lock themselves and/or can be tracked.
Not to mention the in car electronics that prevent a joy ride...
That said, I guess the contactless card is an easy win...
Any more details? Where? When? What got taken?

Spate of house break ins near us and dont even mention bike theft.  My car got riffled through the other night and my Oakleys nicked from the glove compartment.  My fault (well, not actually) but  accidentally left it unlocked.  Several cars over a wide area were similarly done.  Someone systematically walking along trying all doors.  I feel this kind of petty crime is defiantly on the rise.  Im hearing more and more comments/headlines/stories of this kind of thing.

10 years of Austerity innit. The gap between the haves and the have nots is ever widening and there comes a point where the have nots decide things dont seem that fair and turn to the only option they have at their disposal.  I predicted this years ago when that pig fecker Cameron and the Tories went rampaging through local government and social care wielding cuts like Scrooge having an economy drive.

It was similar throughout the 90s following the recession and general depression that the Thatcher left in her wake. 

Maj

I am just off the Mendip Hill, but within easy reach of Bristol as is Mendip. 

I'm regularly seeing posts on my local facebook group about vans being broken into, usually works vans and hence tools stolen.  Extra security doesn't seem to bother them, some instances of side doors peeled opened like a tin can. Often the post include CCTV footage. 

Warning reports of suspicious people nosing around gardens and vehicles, possibly looking for any metal they can take for scrap or other easy pickings. 

I often comment asking if reported to the police, other comments reply with "what's the point?".  These  thefts, break ins, suspicious activity should always be reported to the police and if possible insist that an incident number given. Regardless of whether the police do anything about it, if it's not reported in the eyes of the powers to be it hasn't happened. If it's not happening nothing needs to be done. I would urge everyone that experiences any incident to report it. The more that are reported the greater chance of something being done about it.

A while ago the police raided a barn after a tip off. The police found huge quantities of stolen power tools etc. One of the theories is that most of these thefts are being carried out by the same perpetrators and if caught the number of incidents may drop significantly. The more reports to the police the greater the chance of patterns emerging and an increase in the likelihood of them being caught.

Maj.

SamT

Yep - totally agree. 

After my car got done over the other night, I phoned a mate who is a detective in CID in Sheffield to ask if he thought it was worth reporting.  He said don't call 999, but call 101 and report it.
As you say, it gives them a pattern and adds to the statistics.  Sure, they're not going to do anything about my sun glasses and I wouldn't really expect them to. But if the statistics grow for a certain area enough, funds and resources will eventually be allocated to that area and something may end up being done about it. (what ever the crime is - e.g. car crimes in Mendip).

We'd found a wallet discarded along with some of the stuff from our car that had an address about half a mile away, so it was clear that this would link several crimes, some perhaps more serious than ours.

Maj

In addition, a useful tip. 
If car, sheds, stables etc broken into, have a good hunt around in the bushes etc.  Since the scum will sometimes break in an nick the stuff having arrived on foot from a car parked a short distance away. Then stash their swag in the bushes near by so limiting their exposure time and their vehicle being spotted in connection with the break in. Later they will return to collect the swag, perhaps even when dark.

Although I think more recently they are a lot more brazen and are not at all bothered by the tiny risk of getting caught. I think they may also be more prepared to put up a fight than perhaps 20 yrs ago.

Maj.

Pitlamp

I think the point about telling the police is the more reports they receive the more resources they can justify in devoting to get onto a particular problem.