Knee pads

JefeBo55

What doe people reckon are the best knee pads you can buy? Looking for best comfort and durability.

Not gunna beat around the Bush, I'm not a small human and I've gone through 2 sets of knee pads in a year!

Any particular brand better than others?? I've got Beaver ones currently and have trashed 2 sets!

JWright

JefeBo55 said:
What doe people reckon are the best knee pads you can buy? Looking for best comfort and durability.

Not gunna beat around the Bush, I'm not a small human and I've gone through 2 sets of knee pads in a year!

Any particular brand better than others?? I've got Beaver ones currently and have trashed 2 sets!
I like beaver ones. Have also got a pair on warmbac Kevlar ones. But those aren?t adjustable?
When you say you aren?t small: do you mean that the gentleman in caving supplies doesn?t have anything your size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteHall

Personal opinion is that you can't beat Warmbac Warmtex coated knee pads. Pull up, not adjustable.

Adjustable knee pads are in my view a totally pointless invention (others will no doubt disagree). The velcro bit at the back doesn't stretch, so as you crouch or crawl,  they invariably get strained and break at the stitching. Alternatively, you wear them a bit looser and then they slip down. Then the velcro gets worn out or full of crap and they fall right off. None of these problems with a nice stretchy pull up knee pad.

The Warmtex coating isnt cheap, but it is very durable and unlike kevlar, it is nice and stretchy.

I'm 100% convinced that these are the most comfortable and durable knee pads you can buy.

If you are too big for the standard pull up ones, it would be worth asking if they can make you a larger pair. They are very good at this sort of thing, if you ask!  (y)

pwhole

I've stuck with Nailers for the last few years (with the cream front) - despite being bulkier they're not heavy, and if there's a lot of crawling to do they can be a godsend. I trashed too many pairs of Warmbacs for them to be cost-effective. To be honest I used to trash the Nailers quite quickly too - or at least the strap would rip away from the body over time, even though the main pad was undamaged. Since I bought a Speedy Stitcher I've been able to repair the last pair and so haven't thrown them away. Mind you, I've barely been caving in five months so they're not getting any wear at all at present :(

Cavematt

I used to use the Beaver ones, but the Velcro always ripped off quite quickly.

I?ve since used the Warmbac Warmtex pull-up kneepads. They are great for sporting caving where crawling is intermittent and generally smooth, but for digging in sharp/gravelly rough conditions, the straps rip off completely after about 20 trips, long before the Warmtex has worn through. Therefore, before first use it?s always good to liberally coat the outside of the kneepad (where the Warmtex meets the fabric surround and straps, front and back) with neoprene glue. Makes them last three times longer for only ?5 worth of neoprene glue.

This doesn?t stop the classic issue of them slipping down while crawling though, although I have always used stopping to pull my kneepads up as a sneaky excuse to stop for a quick breather!

Lately I have been moving more towards wearing a cheap and more comfortably fitted sports kneepad (sleeve-type) under my oversuit, which doesn?t slip down in the same way over-oversuit ones do as they are better fitted. The downside is that you very quickly trash your oversuit legs without any protection. Therefore, when I get my next oversuit, I am going to look at stitching reinforcement across the knees (a few layers of material sacrificed from my old suit should do the trick), and then to just wear the more comfortable sports-type kneepads under the oversuit.

In summary JefeBo55, go with whatever gives you a comfortable fit particularly if your size makes finding a good fit difficult, but consider doing some reinforcement work to the kneepads when they are new out of the packet (e.g. coating with neoprene glue) to increase their longevity OR consider wearing kneepads under the oversuit, and reinforcing the oversuit knees to compensate.

JefeBo55

JWright said:
JefeBo55 said:
I can't find the rude finger emoji  ;) :eek:

I like beaver ones. Have also got a pair on warmbac Kevlar ones. But those aren?t adjustable?
When you say you aren?t small: do you mean that the gentleman in caving supplies doesn?t have anything your size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitlamp

I think there is a similar topic on here from a few years ago, which is quite useful. No time to find it as I type but  if you do a bit of searching it should come up.

PeteHall

Cavematt said:
when I get my next oversuit, I am going to look at stitching reinforcement across the knees (a few layers of material sacrificed from my old suit should do the trick), and then to just wear the more comfortable sports-type kneepads under the oversuit.

Just be aware that when you start to wear a hole in the top layer, the (now open) pocket will fill with sand/ silt and may actually cause the rest of the suit to wear out more quickly...

The other thing you've reminded me, with knee pads under oversuit, is that Warmbac will sew knee/elbow pads into their undersuits for a fairly token price (standard on a neo-fleece). I find these a really effective 2nd layer of protection, but I know other people (of a different body shape) who find that they never line up with a knee. Not sure if other manufacturers will do similar, but worth asking your favourite local (or mobile) gear supplier.

Deviating slightly from knee pads to elbow pads...
Before you throw out a knackered pair of wetsocks, cut the feet off and bin them, but the long bit up your leg never wears out. These are great worn on the fore-arm/ elbow and really increase the life of oversuit arms.  (y)

PeteHall

Pitlamp said:
I think there is a similar topic on here from a few years ago, which is quite useful. No time to find it as I type but  if you do a bit of searching it should come up.

But that spoils the fun of having the same discussion all over again  :LOL:

Try these for starters:
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=23533.0
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=20683.0
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=17957.0
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=20097.0

I have warmtex velcro ones and they are doing OK but I woudl agree with Pete's points - the velcro needs a bit of TLC every now and again to keep it clean and they are showing signs of wear.

What I have found works well is gluing a pair of tradesmen type knee pads (the ones meant to sit inside knee pockets on work trousers) to the inside.  They give extra protection without that annoyance I have experienced with hard faced knee pads which seem to toll to the side when crawling.

I also sewed some old computer mouse mat into the knees of my old warmbac undersuit whcih worked well.

pwhole

My AV undersuit actually has knee pockets, so I also have a square of 4mm neoprene in each permanently. Just for extra ;)

Tseralo

Im with Pwhole, Ive just had to buy another pair of nailers after the strap broke. The last pair did 50 trips of mostly Derbyshire caving and digging which I'm happy with.

A_Northerner

Miner's Kneepads from https://lestersdirect.co.uk/ have served me well for over 7 years/300+ trips of caving now. Only had to buy replacement straps once, after 5 years.

It's like crawling on a fluffy cloud, and I have fucked knees. I also find they give excellent purchase in chimney climbs because of the hard rubber.

People often complain that the leather straps cut the back of their legs but:

A. They soften up after a few trips breaking in
B. You can use different straps, and add padding round the leather ones
C. Wearing neoprene in your AV undersuit (like Pwhole said) means you don't feel it anyway

pwhole

The fact that they only make kneepads, and are based in Nottingham is tempting me to try some. Though I have a weird feeling I may already have something similar in my cupboard. Hmm...

wellyjen

PeteHall said:
Deviating slightly from knee pads to elbow pads...
Before you throw out a knackered pair of wetsocks, cut the feet off and bin them, but the long bit up your leg never wears out. These are great worn on the fore-arm/ elbow and really increase the life of oversuit arms.  (y)
He must have seen me coming. I spent ten quid for a pair of neoprene arm thingies at Starless River. Now I know they were just a pair of worn out wetsocks.  :mad:
https://starlessriver.com/shop/warmbac_neoprene_cuffs

MarkS

I go for the cheaper Warmbac ones, coat the front in Sikaflex ETB+ (300 ml is a few quid from Screwfix) and use the same stuff to stick some neoprene on the back. Lasts as long as the Warmtex in my experience, is comfier than the standard kneepads, and easily fixed with a bit more Sikaflex.

AR

I've used the Lesters in the past, though I'm not sure what I did with mine - might still be lurking in the spare kit pile, or so I hope! I found the best way to deal with the strap chafing issue was wear a pair of neoprene knee supports (the sort Aldi/Lidl do for around a fiver as specials) which seemed to do the trick for me. Main issue I had with them was their tendency to collect mud during grotty crawls which IIRC is why I shifted onto Warmbacs.

A_Northerner

AR said:
I've used the Lesters in the past, though I'm not sure what I did with mine - might still be lurking in the spare kit pile, or so I hope! I found the best way to deal with the strap chafing issue was wear a pair of neoprene knee supports (the sort Aldi/Lidl do for around a fiver as specials) which seemed to do the trick for me. Main issue I had with them was their tendency to collect mud during grotty crawls which IIRC is why I shifted onto Warmbacs.

They certainly have trips where they're less appropriate, they're a bit "overkill" for a trip where you're not really on your knees that much but they really come into their own on trips that are 99% crawling. I had no idea people considered Streaks Pot a miserable trip because it's been a comfy dream every time I've done it in my Lesters!

I do have a pair of Warmbacs for largely vertical/walking caves.

pwhole

MarkS said:
I go for the cheaper Warmbac ones, coat the front in Sikaflex ETB+ (300 ml is a few quid from Screwfix) and use the same stuff to stick some neoprene on the back. Lasts as long as the Warmtex in my experience, is comfier than the standard kneepads, and easily fixed with a bit more Sikaflex.

Just out of interest, what do you use to apply this stuff to the surface with? Without getting it all over the place I mean. I've heard of it before being used in this context. I do still use Warmbac elbow pads, but they too get trashed far quicker than I'd like, so this might be a solution. Screwfix is a mere stroll for me.