Trip to New Zealand Suggestions

Amy

I am hoping to cave in NZ next spring/summer. Any good contacts / places to stay / etc to recommend?

[gmod]Split from the "New Zealand again" thread[/gmod]

Amy

Been to UK twice. There be other caves ;-) a friend and i have wanted to get to nz for years and made a pact to go next summer.

I also want to cave in iceland and brazil.

I have fancy dreams...

Plus i think it would be cool to do a cave in all 50 US states. I mean, that is like doing one in each European country landmass wise!

I have a bucket list and plan for it not just dream! What other way is there to live??

Cheers for the link! Any direct contacts people know of would be helpful too :)

robjones

The current issue of Descent (UK caving magazine) has an inspirational article on the connecting of Nettlebed and Stormy Pot under Mt.Arthur in NZ to create the 5th deepest through trip. Three days is the recommended time for the through trip.

J.Ravens "Stormy to Nettlebed: the connection at last", Descent 237 (April/May 2014), pp.18-24.

Amy

Yes i heard of the connection! Most I've ever spent ug was two days im not sure i could have lasted three, i didnt get much sleep (25 hrs ug and maybe only 1 hr of sleep) i am past the days of multiple allnighters in a row ;-)

pete_the_caver

Big news has just arrived concerning Bulmer so I suspect there will be plenty happening there, but remember, summer is  January - February
Sent from the Darkside... a Windows phone using Tapatalk

robjones

Amy said:
i think it would be cool to do a cave in all 50 US states. I mean, that is like doing one in each European country landmass wise!

Having unknowingly walked up the highest peaks in WI and SD, US relatives gave me the guidebook "50 state summits" which detailed the highest peaks in each state (some such as FL were pretty pointless unless you're into tick sheets). Might be interesting to think about the longest caves in each state? (Or does NSS already publish a list?)

John Gunn used to have a lecture "Around the World in 80 Caves" - that's probably a more interesting challenge.

Amy

mrodoc said:
Amy, I think I can help after our recent trip.
awesome! I think Bratchly is there right now too. Maybe late this year.  Was going to go shortly but plans with travel buddy fell through and now I am posting from hospital. Won't be up to Caving for a few months. Then it's back to work on my bucket list!!!

rhychydwr1

Latest edition of Speleonews has an article on caving in New Zealand.

Vol 55 No 6 December 2015

I have an e-copy somewhere.