Filthy Edna 2. Affordable, robust and super bright (1,000 lumen) caving light

GregBrock

Most cavers in the UK will know about the Rude Nora lights, made by Biff and LittleMonkey caving lights. Well they have recently brought out the Filthy Edna 2 light which is much more affordable, but still super bright. I thought i'd share my comments here. If you have one of these lights then please feel free to add your comments/experiences below and lets all support a great UK based caving light company.

I?ve recently purchased the Filthy Edna 2. It?s a great light. It is lightweight and compact. The battery unit weighs roughly the same as the light unit, so it is nicely balanced on the helmet.

It is simple to use. The switch is on the back of the light unit, which keeps it very low profile and protects the switch from damage/bumps, and it is easy to operate with gloves/mud etc. I do most of my caving on setting 1 (70 lumen, 30 hours) or setting 2 (170 lumen, 10 hours), which is ample light for the vast majority of caving. Setting 3 (320 lumen, 5 hours) & especially setting 4 are super bright (1000 lumen, 1 hour) and really only needed occasionally in large passages/chambers. These are conservative lumen outputs, and the LED is rated at a minimum 1,212 lumen (at 25 degC).

It has a single main LED and the spread of periphery light is good, even on the lowest setting it nicely lights up the area around you. If you need to ?spot? something, you can just flick it to the highest setting briefly which in my view is more than adequate for lighting up things further away (and blinding anyone that is nearby!).

It does also have a smaller ?camp LED? which provides 5 lumens of light for 200+ hours. This little LED will also flash to tell you how much battery is remaining (5 flashes = 100% charged, 4 flashes = 80% charged etc).

A single 18650 battery is more than adequate for the majority of trips and gives the added benefit of a super lightweight compact set-up that is nicely balanced. These batteries are very low cost and readily available from anywhere on the inetrnet, so it is really easy to carry more batteries if you want longer duration. The batteries can be changed underground really easily.

There are various charging options, I charge 2 x 18650 batteries in the Nitecore i2 smart battery charger before each trip. One for the light and one in my pocket as a spare. LittleMonkey provide ?Edna rude tubes? which allow you to carry spare batteries safely and protected.

It?s new, so I can?t comment on its long term robustness but it seems very solid and is well made by a reputable company that know what they are doing. It is very similar to the Nora 3 in build quality, which has proved its robustness over a number of years, so I have no concerns that the Edna 2 will be equally as robust.

I can?t fault it. The price is amazing for what you get. 

It?s made by cavers for cavers. Would definitely recommend it.

All the details are here: https://www.littlemonkeycaving.co.uk/Filthy-Edna/