White sticky residue

Hatstand

So the crab I left to fester in my tub for a couple of months generated some interesting sticky white residue. It's fine too just scrub it off with a brillo pad and just keep using it right?

Brains

It will be degrading aluminium, possibly an aluminium hydroxide compound. From time to time pictures of rotting alloys in cave rigging appear on the web showing similar crud. If only a superficial deposit I would guess its ok to clean it off and use, but its your neck...

As an aside over the years I have seen many aluminium builders ladders used in digs or to facilitate access. These have ALL shown this gell and copious amounts of dusty corrosion (unless very new!). For this reason aluminium fixings, scaff tubes, ladders etc should NOT be used in digs etc, but go with steel instead. Many will argue for stainless steel but this is not really suitable either, it DOES corrode where you cant see it, fastening will seize and it can become brittle. Mild steel would be the best IMO as it corrodes slowly, is easy to work, gives a grippable not slippery surface and strong.
Compare the new SS chains at Surprise View in compared to the old mild steel ones - wrestling a greased eel, or a firm handhold.