Bored With Politics. Let's Go Digging.

The Old Ruminator

Some from yesterday. Mendip a tad wet at the moment.

The Mendip Ironmongery and scrap contingent in action.

Er perhaps we should have gone to the pub.

No moaning about anything please or I wont bother again.

Harmony -- :hug: :kiss2:

tony from suffolk

Got to say I'm impressed with the way you chaps have managed to get that water to fall straight down the middle of the shaft. Bet it's refreshing to stand under it.

cap n chris

tony from suffolk said:
Got to say I'm impressed with the way you chaps have managed to get that water to fall straight down the middle of the shaft. Bet it's refreshing to stand under it.

Agree! - probably useful to clean off oversuits when exiting. Were it up to me I'd fix a long sheet of heavy duty polythene so it just runs down inbetween against the concrete liners.

The Old Ruminator

Well the cave is cleaner now than it has ever been. I did not have to pressure wash my kit. Interesting as the cave ( if that is what it is ) was sealed with 7m of loess blown in to the closed basin 15,000 years ago. To help the farmer we have created a " French Drain " feeding flood water from the depression into the pipe. ( OK I admit it has been done on purpose ). Prior to that the depression would flood creating collapse into the loess. Now that the water has a conduit it flows through much of the excavated cave gradually washing out ancient sediments and gravels.The small streamways converge on the terminal scaffolded choke to sink down a hole in the floor following the bedding steeply down.

tony from suffolk

So really, that water's doing the work for you, and after a while the cave will be open all the way to the Cheddar Master Cave. It might be a little bit of a wait though.