Glasses

K

kabot

Anybody got any Ideas how i can stop my glasses from steaming up. I have a problem in that im not suitable for wearing contacts and not wearing glasses is not a viable option. Any help from fellow glass wearers who cave would be great. :shock:

kay

Don't get too hot :wink:

Have you got glass lenses or plastic? Plastic do get steamed up but not so much. Otherwise, I can't offer much help. I do get steamed up, but not much, and it's never happened to me in a critical situation.

If you're short sighted, you're in for another problem when you're old enough to need reading glasses - varifocals are great, but not in caves, because your feet (and the footholds you're aiming at) are out of focus.

A

Ant

kay said:
Don't get too hot :wink:

Is this posible, we get hot walking to the entrance!!!

Try gogles with prescription lenses or an anti mist substance I can not think of any at the moment

Stu

kabot said:
Anybody got any Ideas how i can stop my glasses from steaming up. I have a problem in that im not suitable for wearing contacts and not wearing glasses is not a viable option. Any help from fellow glass wearers who cave would be great. :shock:

I'm not massively blind, though wouldn't pass a driving test eye sight, so I can just about get away with not wearing mine. Plastic lenses are better.

A

Ant

http://www.motosolutions.com this link is not for a waterproof substance. :(
http://www.indiamart.com/aeroaids/#products Used on cars!!!
:p » Sparklo Premium Foaming Glass Cleaner.
Special blend of cleaning agents in a complex aqueous base with anti-mist formula.
Produces foam to easily remove grease, oil & dirt from glass, sunmica, plastic & painted metal.
Anti mist formula keeps away moisture from condensing onto the glass, especially in winters and rainy season.
Available in 300 gms.

http://www.klarit.com/
Klarit Anti-mist Treatment -
stops glasses, goggles and visors misting up stops mirrors and windows misting up increases vision and so gives advantages is easy to apply
lasts a long time!

Just a few for you to check out!!

Hope this Helps Let us know[/url]

Stupot

Poor Allan, there is not much going for you is there, i'll tell you what i will
shoot you and put you out your misery.

Stu.

M

Melanie lloyd

Cutting open a potatoe and rubbing it over the lenses will stop them misting up..it's one of those old fashioned cleaning tips that you discover in womens magazines..something to do with the startch apparently.

K

kabot

Ill give the potatoe thing a go and if it works ill let you know. Cheers

A

Ant

As we have had some rain the air quality should now start to improve. This should make it easier on the old heart and lungs while moving through the various passages. In turn this should help in keeping you cooler and so you will not sweat as much. All in all your glasses may not mist as much.

Good luck with the potato thing but will you have to take one caving with you so that you can reaply the smear when it wears off?

Brains

I usually leave mine in the car and stumble around - a dim carbide or an old single LED are then quite sufficient!!!! Otherwise lick and spit, and wash off when convenient. Furry suits have quite good lens cleaning properties provided they are not too muddy! Contact lenses are a no-no, seen too many people in agony with mud under a lens and no water to wash the eye out with, 'cept whats in your bladder of course... :twisted: Of course you could always do like Ken Pearce is said to have done - go without a lamp (so no glasses needed) to catch up with your friends digging at the bottom of Giants. Seems a long way solo in the dark to me

Peter Burgess

Slightly off-topic, but I found another problem with glasses some years ago. I found that the metal rims of the pair I was wearing was affecting the compass I was using whilst surveying. Fortunately an old pair I had kept were non-magnetic so they became my surveying glasses. On future trips to the opticians I used to take the compass with me to test the frames before selecting a pair. Sod style and elegance, all I wanted was an accurate survey!

ian mckenzie

I carry a cloth hanky in my oversuit pocket to wipe the lenses with; works well provided you use a different corner for the sniffles...

T

tubby two

I'd have said there is no easy way- i spent years leaving glasses next to cave entrances (and even on a ledge half way down juniper gulf once). If i had them on underground i found the steaming up impossible. My tip- dont bother, you cant see down caves that well anyway so i dont think you miss much, and its a lot less hassle!
But i've now got contacts, i've only done a few trips since, and they have all been really easy- but they are fantastic. What is it thats wrong with your eyes so you cant wear contacts? I've got keratonus which has been degenerating for the past few years and has only just started to stabilise which is why i got the contacts. Hard gas permeable things- bloody horrible when you start but you can see leaves on trees and everything.

tt.

Rachel

If ordinary contacts are out, would you be able to use the daily disposable ones just for the duration of the trip? I find them really handy and if you get the odd mud grain in there, you can just flip them out there and then.

A

angelmaz11

Very simple. Spit on them! And smear it all over. Perfect. No need to spend silly money on products. Your spit has something in it - but I'm not sure what - which works very well.

Learnt that doing my o/w scuba diving.

K

kabot

I have a really bad astigmatism that prevents me from wearing any type of contact the problem is when I blink they move around on the surface of the eye which is a absolute pain. see one moment then blurry the next.

T

tubby two

Kabot, what type of contacts are you trying, gas permeable? if so your optician should be able to get them tightened and made bigger- mine moved a lot at first but they changed them and half a mill made a massive difference.
Where are you getting them from- specsavers or a real opticians?

tt.