New Book: Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales

A major new book from BCRA

Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales, edited by Tony Waltham and David Lowe, will be published by BCRA in March 2013 with a cover price of ?25. There is a special introductory price of ?20 until 30 June 2013. A hardback version is available for ?70, with a special introductory price of ?56. Delivery in the UK is included in this price. Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales has 264 pages (A4), all in colour, with 165 maps and diagrams, 49 tables, and over 350 photographs. For further information, including how to pay by cheque and how to pay online, please go to http://bcra.org.uk/bookshop.

Postage overseas is unfortunately rather expensive but, if you live outside the UK and you want to avoid paying the postage, you can collect the book from the BCRA stand at the UIS Congress in Brno in July.  http://speleo2013.com. To Europe by Airmail and outside Europe by Surface Mail the postage will be GBP 3.50 per copy plus a flat-rate charge of GBP 2.50. To countries outside Europe, by Airmail, the postage will be GBP 10.50 per copy plus a flat-rate charge of GBP 2.50.

Retailers and wholesalers can benefit from our standard discounts. Please contact publications-admin@bcra.org.uk

SamT

Bumping this as it is languishing unseen in the Yorkshire forum.  Also moved to the ukcaving forum for a wider audience since it deserves a bit of advertising

littletitan

SamT said:
Bumping this as it is languishing unseen in the Yorkshire forum.  Also moved to the ukcaving forum for a wider audience since it deserves a bit of advertising

Good for you SamT! It's a great book that needs as much publicity as it can get. Great effort Tony, David and BCRA  :clap:

-Robbie Shone

langcliffe

I collected my copy earlier today, and it is superb. It's an absolute must for everyone who realises that there's more to Yorkshire caves than swinging about on ropes. It's also a genuine bargain at the introductory price of ?20.

skippy

Is that collecting it from a shop Langcliffe...or the post office having ordered it from the BCRA?

langcliffe

skippy said:
Is that collecting it from a shop Langcliffe...or the post office having ordered it from the BCRA?

Geoff, Stuart, and I went down Magnetometer today, meeting at the CPC hut, and Dave Checkley swung by to drop a couple of copies off.

dunc

I'm waiting for mine to arrive in the post, ordered a while back, to be posted 'in the next few days' (according to the email I received.)  Luckily I'm busy at the moment and wouldn't have time to read it right now, things should be quieter next week so perfect timing!  :)

graham

nickwilliams said:
langcliffe said:
It's also a genuine bargain at the introductory price of ?20.

?36 extra for the hardback version seems pretty steep. mind.

Don't like to criticise, but have to agree. I could get a copy individually bound by hand for roughly that price.

And the differential goes up to ?45 once the introductory offer is over. This is a lot of money and I cannot see any good justification for it.

Pitlamp

graham said:
nickwilliams said:
langcliffe said:

Don't like to criticise, but have to agree. I could get a copy individually bound by hand for roughly that price.

And the differential goes up to ?45 once the introductory offer is over. This is a lot of money and I cannot see any good justification for it.

I can. The book is so good it doesn't really matter what it costs. I'm already thoroughly absorbed in my copy. It's stunningly good.

graham

Pitlamp said:
graham said:
nickwilliams said:
langcliffe said:

I can. The book is so good it doesn't really matter what it costs. I'm already thoroughly absorbed in my copy. It's stunningly good.

So pricing students out of the market is a good thing?  :-\

Edit: Sorry, I did not make my position clear. My club library would normally buy a hardback version of such a book, which would (should) be far more robust & would see much more usage over a period of time. At that price, it won't. It might not even buy the softbound version as they don't stand up well to the wear and tear of library use & would thus be something of a waste of scarce funds.

Pricing the hardbound version at a similar differential to that which exists in the wider book market (say ?35 introductory & ?40-45 standard) would see far more hardbound sales, to libraries, clubs & other institutions & would thus increase the book's visibility.

Look at the cost of the hardbound books from Mendip in recent years, the Wookey book from the CDG, the Swildons book from the Wessex & Earth Colours from the MCRA. All hardbound, all good value for money. If, say at Hidden Earth this year someone is looking to buy one book, as they are on a budget, then it is going to be the new Mendip Underground rather than this tome.

langcliffe

graham said:
So pricing students out of the market is a good thing?  :-\

I'm an impoverished OAP, and I assumed that the ?20 soft back introductory offer was for us poor people.

graham said:
If, say at Hidden Earth this year someone is looking to buy one book, as they are on a budget, then it is going to be the new Mendip Underground rather than this tome.

Even as a Mendip-based caver I can't disagree more, why would anyone want to buy a book about scrotty, muddy little holes in preference to a book of classic Yorkshire caves  :tease:

Pitlamp

This is quite simply the best book about caving to be published in a very long time. And all some of you can do is moither over a few quid. I thought it was supposed to be northerners who reckon to be tight? At least we can recognise real value.  (y)

Think of the many thousands of hours of work - all the massive amount of knowledge and experience which the editors and other contributors have distilled into this excellent volume. My view is we're damn lucky to have it.