Map of Yorkshire Caves

Like the URL.

There is another Google Maps effort (from last year) with overlays for cave surveys, terrain data, old maps etc at http://www.bdcc.co.uk/mendip.html. This was done in collaboration with CSCC. We have been careful not to publish cave locations without access details - to promote good landowner relations.

langcliffe

The entrance buttons don't seem to work for me...

I've seen one for the GG entrances:

http://www.braemoor.co.uk/cavingtrip/ggmap.shtml

damian

This looks excellent. Unfortunately I also can't manage to make any of the cave locations appear on the map. Am I missing something or is it a "work in progress"?

Whichever, well done though!

martinm

Same here, none of the links make anything appear on the map unfortunately. (I'm using Firefox if that helps.) There are no javascript errors appearing though, so not sure what the problem is...

damian said:
This looks excellent. Unfortunately I also can't manage to make any of the cave locations appear on the map. Am I missing something or is it a "work in progress"?

I've tested it in Firefox 2.0.0.7 and IE 6, what browser are you using?

You could also try going direct toCaveMaps.50Webs.com this bypasses Yahoo's weird URL forwarding thing that wraps a frame around the page.

damian

Cave Mapper said:
I've tested it in Firefox 2.0.0.7 and IE 6, what browser are you using?

I've tried it in both of those and when I click on any of the cave names, nothing seems to happen. I assume it's meant to show me the entrance. When I zoom in on the map, there are also no labels on the entrances.

Cave Mapper said:
You could also try going direct toCaveMaps.50Webs.com this bypasses Yahoo's weird URL forwarding thing that wraps a frame around the page.

Tried this, but unfortunately it's still the same.

Sorry! I imagine it's me, though. It usually is with computers.

Geoff R

works great for me - excellent !!  really Excellent !!

anyone found a way of adding sat nav coordinates ?  (maybe Im not looking)

martinm

Ah yes, I see. Works fine when you do that. Could do with a title tag on the boxes to show a tooltip when you mouse over them. Also be good if the map centered the locations when they are clicked on. That way, if they're off the edge of the current view, the map will scroll to show them. And also centre and zoom the map in when you click on a location icon to show more detail. (I've done a bit of google map work myself.  ;) )

Good start though!

kay

You need to click once (not double click), so that a tick appears in the square.
The map doesn't follow you around. If you are not showing the right bit of map at the time, the cave entrance mark is off screen - it's best not to zoom in too far before clicking.

Very nice, and fairly up to date on Gaping Gill entrances.

But Great Douk is a bit off - it's the other side of the road for a start! I'm not quite convinced about one of the Borrins Moor entrances either.

I'm using Firefox, so it does work with that

damian

Cave Mapper said:
You need to click in the little squares next to the cave names, maybe this isn't obvious.

I see. I knew it would be something I was doing! I had been clicking on the cave names, which appeared to be hyperlinks, but didn't seem to do anything.

Great Douk does appear to be out and I noticed Car Pot was a little bit off the actual shakehole, but it's a nice job.

dunc

It's a good start and could be useful in the future (y) - at present there are too many errors in cave locations and like someone said above, access information would be very useful too.

Geoff R said:
works great for me - excellent !!  really Excellent !!

anyone found a way of adding sat nav coordinates ?  (maybe Im not looking)

You have to email them to me at present and I will upload them. See the 'About' page on the site for more info.

If its any help, feel free to use the OSGB grid to WGS84 Lat/Lon (and v-v) script at www.bdcc.co.uk/LatLngToOSGB.js . You will also find an OS grid (graticule) overlay for Google Maps there too (LatLonGraticule.js).

Cave_Troll

it would be nice to see surveys... Hummmm another whole can of worms there :)

Also it seems we've got yet another case of everyone trying to do the same thing.
Well not everyone, but you've got four or five different "cave entrances on internet map" type applications appearing.
Of course i'm sure there will be the normal "live earth is better than google earth" type arguments and then the "my implimentation is better than yours".
not that it matters , i'm sure in 4 months time you'll have found something else interesting.

langcliffe

Cave_Troll said:
it would be nice to see surveys... Hummmm another whole can of worms there :)

It would be good if it could make us a cup of tea as well, but saying so isn't particularly useful.

Cave_Troll said:
Also it seems we've got yet another case of everyone trying to do the same thing.
Well not everyone, but you've got four or five different "cave entrances on internet map" type applications appearing.
Of course i'm sure there will be the normal "live earth is better than google earth" type arguments and then the "my implimentation is better than yours".

I would have thought that it was inevitable that when new technology became available, people would look at how its potential could be used in their particular area of interest. Would you prefer for people not to bother at all? Or would it be better if when one person had a go, everybody should leave him / her to it? All power to Andy's elbow for having a go, and I wish him the very best with it.

My main concern is that I believe that information should only be published when it has been verified that it is accurate. Otherwise we are left with another load of wrong crap on the web misleading people. In this case, a lot of data has been made available before it has been validated.

Cave_Troll said:
not that it matters , i'm sure in 4 months time you'll have found something else interesting.

What an extraordinary thing to say.