What makes an "Epic"?

P

Paul_L

This has always eluded me, what is the correct definition of an "epic" or is it variable?

Finding you are out of "rope ladders" descending the final pitch, going out for more kit and bottoming it? or Losing your mars bar and going hungry for an hour?

Have you had one and what made it "epic" for you?

Brains

There can be only one definition... missing last orders! Anything else is just faffing about  :)

D

darkplaces

Doesn't an epic have background music so you know its an epic?

Are we talking good epic or bad epic here?

D

Dave H

Surely an epic is the sort of trip that people will buy you drinks to recount to them.  :beer:

H

hoehlenforscher

There is a tale of an epic trip to be found in the CUCC anals regarding a pushing trip to the bottom of Schnellzughoehle in Austria. I shall try and dig out a link. It involved a bivouac, a push to -850m, a swim through a duck that ends on a lip at the start of the final 90m pitch, getting back to the surface afterwards, a 3 mile walk back to the car and then falling of the mountain on the drive back down to the valley!

Epic stuff indeed

cap n chris

Epics are caving trips which happen to those who aren't quite as crap at organising trips as cavers who didn't make it back alive.

paulf

Eastwater
Three of us carrying enough ladders & line to do a Dolphin Pot - Twin Verticals exchange over the Bedding Plane right up to the Cross Roads only to run short of Time  :eek:
To get out having used None of the Tackle, with time to Spare  ;)
But to still be able to call it an excellent Trip whist enjoying a Beer afterwards  :beer:
Cheers Paul

bru

c**tplaces said:
Doesn't an epic have background music so you know its an epic?

Are we talking good epic or bad epic here?

trying to get off wellies that are too tight in the first place and have developed a vacuum seal through prolonged immersion and then facing the realisation that you may be wearing them forever/until you can find your swiss army knife.  End theme music was the shower scene from psycho :eek:

anfieldman

spikey said:
hoehlenforscher said:
There is a tale of an epic trip to be found in the CUCC anals

.......Their bottoms ??? ......... :eek:

That would be epic......

Yes, they found piles of beautiful brown formations but the entrance was a very tight squeeze!
:yucky:

JB

Paul_L said:
what is the correct definition of an "epic" or is it variable?

Good question that! I think it's an experience that you remember vividly cos the feeling of fear that you had was so strong. One person's epic is another's rest day cos it's about feelings not numbers. I've been scared caving but so far my 'epics' have been reserved for some fairly traumatic rock and alpine climbing:

http://www.orionmountaineering.com/third_spur.htm

Jules.

shotlighter

Finding out, at the bottom of Bar Pot that the two cavers "attached" to your group on a club trip, have never even been caving before - let alone done any SRT.
I'll never, ever forget the trip out. Last orders was most definitely missed! :cry:

francis

shotlighter said:
Finding out, at the bottom of Bar Pot that the two cavers "attached" to your group on a club trip, have never even been caving before - let alone done any SRT.
I'll never, ever forget the trip out. Last orders was most definitely missed! :cry:

What :eek:

Did they have SRT gear, or did they descend in some obscure fashion?

Francis

shotlighter

No, they had SRT gear (which I guess they'd loaned from club stock on some pretext.) To be fair one of them had absailed before.....once! As I was rigging I didn't realy have much to do with them, untill the bottom of Bar.
Never seen 'em since that day!!!

Duncan

hoehlenforscher said:
There is a tale of an epic trip to be found in the CUCC anals regarding a pushing trip to the bottom of Schnellzughoehle in Austria. I shall try and dig out a link. It involved a bivouac, a push to -850m, a swim through a duck that ends on a lip at the start of the final 90m pitch, getting back to the surface afterwards, a 3 mile walk back to the car and then falling of the mountain on the drive back down to the valley!
Not quite - I think you're mixing events of two different years.

The accident on the drive back down was in 1978, following a long trip down Eislufth?hle:
[quote author=CUCC 1978 Logbook]
Explored the river by the side of the road below the toll road. Tackle : one Ford Fiesta. Descended 30' pitch into streamway, with a couple of mid-air turns too. time c 5 seconds, tackle written off.

The above trip led to a series of extraneous trips to Bad Aussee and Salzburg hospitals where Simon and Julian were swindling the insurance with their minor injuries (broken neck, broken sternum). It put an end to pushing 106 for the year, and we were naturally reluctant to indulge in any more overnight trips. [/quote]
http://cucc.survex.com/expo/years/1978/log.htm#id1978-76-11

The deep trips with the swimming duck followed by a 90m pitch were in 1982:
[quote author=CUCC 1982 Logbook]
Thursday 5th August  115 Pushing
Chas & Dave

My old man said "Follow the van..." geddit ? Gertcha !

Well . . . . what can I say ? Preparing for a long trip, Dave put on long johns, wetsuit, furry suit, pullover, cagoule and overalls. Unfortunately he could barely move and had to take off a layer or two at the Ramp. Down the Purgatory was as nasty as ever. Then, past the Confluence and "Yeeeeeeeah !" I've never been as near having an orgasm underground as when I saw the smoked "CUCC 82" in the roof. Suitably encouraged by the easy way out, we pressed on. A pleasant series of pitches lead to the Duck. Yeurgh !! Chas did well to survive in just a furry suit. Then - Orgasm Chasm. Jeez what a shaft ! We put in two bolts and a large freehang 150+ dropped to (no not a floor) a ledge. Another bolt but rope too short. Still no floor. Back (bounce) up (bounce) the Interalp (bounce) which stopped bouncing when it caught and I was prussiking up an iron bar ! Shit. We've now been under 9 hours so exit. Large gonk at sump bypass. At confluence we gratefully climbed up into the phreas. The way to 115 is about half a mile of walking and traversing. Towards the end we were stopping every 50m for a rest. In the Big Chamber, we had a really bad gonk for 25 minutes or so - I began to wonder if we'd make it. Once the prussiking had started it wasn't so bad but it was slow hard progress all the way. The Bell Pitch alone took 15 minutes. Then the crawl out to a painful dawn. In silence we changed and walked back to the Loserh?tte. The sight of Mike asleep in his car was very welcome indeed. At long last we could relax, after sixteen and a half hours unbroken struggle with this fierce cave.

16? hours[/quote]
http://cucc.survex.com/expo/years/1982/log.htm

Duncan

H

hoehlenforscher

(y)

cheers Dunc

I wondered why I couldn't find the reports anywhere. :confused:

Forgive my ageing brain and its inability to hold information as once was the case :spank:

In any case both those trips would qualify as Epics in my book! In fact a trip I made a couple of years ago to finally survey the Stellerweg-Schnellzug connection found by CUCC must count as an Epic. Just the sheer number of pitches involved and the time underground, and trying to start the petrol drill to fix anchors, then running out of rope 1 pitch for the end and having to come back out the same way instead of using the new connection on the hill side which would have meant no more rope work.....