Caves with leader access

Darkstar

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to compile a list of all the UK caves which are run with a leader system.  I have put down the ones that I (and a couple of mates) could think of.  I would very much appreciate additions to the list or corrections if I have made any mistakes.  As you can see the whole of the Northern UK is blank.
Thanks

Mendip
?        St Cuthberts
?        Charterhouse
?        Fairy Quarry
?        Reservoir Hole
?        Upper Flood
?        Pen Park Hole

South Wales
?        OFD I
?        Dan y Ogof
?        Ogof Craig y Ffynnon
?         

Forest of Dean
?        Otter Hole

Derbyshire
?         

Yorkshire
?         

Scotland
?         

Peter Burgess

Mendip - Loxton Cavern (Found Cave of Loxton).

BTW, have a poke about on www.cscc.org.uk access guide - that's what I have done for the past few minutes, with places where I thought a leader might be needed.  :)

Duncan Price

Ogof Craig ar Ffynnon is not a leader cave - you just need a key/permit.

Fairy Cave Quarry contains two leader caves: Shatter Cave and Withyhill Cave - the others are just gates or open access.

White Pit is also operates under a leader system in that you need someone who has been down the cave before to lead the trip - once you've been shown around I believe that you automatically become a leader.  Pesonally, I think that this might be a good idea for a number of vunerable caves.

Les W

I'm not sure Bone Hole is a leader system, just a need to apply for a key.
I might be wrong though.  :-\

langcliffe

Darkstar said:
I am trying to compile a list of all the UK caves which are run with a leader system.  I have put down the ones that I (and a couple of mates) could think of.  I would very much appreciate additions to the list or corrections if I have made any mistakes.  As you can see the whole of the Northern UK is blank.

If it's going to be a generally available list (Wiki?), then well done.

I don't think that there are any Yorkshire Dales caves that require an authorised leader.

dunc

I don't think that there are any Yorkshire Dales caves that require an authorised leader.
Great Expectations requires a leader, other than that I can't think of anything else.

dudley bug

Ogof Ffynnon Ddu - Column Hall

Open only on Bank Holidays - usually the Sunday.
Although not a true leader trip, you are generally encouraged to find your own way there.
A warden will be present in Column Hall while visits take place during the day.

martinr

Les W said:
I'm not sure Bone Hole is a leader system, just a need to apply for a key.
I might be wrong though.  :-\

I think the terms of our licience from National Trust require all trips to be led by an MCG member  :cry:

robjones

The Halkyn Mines intersect natural caves of notable size; I seem to recall that there is a leadership system in place for the mines. If Derbyshire mine/cave systems are being considered then possibly also Halkyn?

langcliffe

dunc said:
Great Expectations requires a leader, other than that I can't think of anything else.
I suspect that you're right, Dunc, although the CNCC web site doesn't specifically say so.

R

RM

I don't think that there are any Yorkshire Dales caves that require an authorised leader

And all the better for it !!!!!

Open access for ALL!!!!

( I know im stiring, and im sorry, but i think its about time we discussed whether leader systems are really neccessary in this day and age! I know some of these are down to landowner issues which i agree we can do little about but still.....)