Expedition Training Weekend

aricooperdavis

Cave Expedition Training weekend!

Fancy learning some expedition skills? Or are you thinking of going on the Dachstein expedition this summer? Either way, this is for you!

WHEN: Friday evening 11th May to Sunday afternoon 13th May.

WHERE: Forest of Dean (Cinderford).

WHAT: a full weekend of cave expedition skills, including basic SRT, advanced SRT, SRT self rescue, hauling & lowering, vertical team rescue, cave surveying (modern & traditional), first aid, emergency procedures/survival skills (flooding, lightning, etc), kit selection, underground cooking, expedition do's & don'ts, photography workshop, Dachstein presentation, etc.. Sunday: large-scale underground cave rescue practice.

This is the original & best expedition workshop available in the UK (we've been running these for two decades) & the level of supervision/guidance/advice by some of our most experienced Alpine explorers is second to none so I encourage anyone with an interest in developing their skills to come along. And if you?re a veteran then we could do with your assistance.

We will try to keep the cost below ?20 each (food, accommodation, etc) & this is being run at NO profit to any of those involved. Whilst this is organised primarily for 2018 expedition members if there is space then others are welcome to attend.  And yes, we may try to recruit you in the process?

The Gloucester Cave Rescue Group have very kindly offered to let us use their facilities: converted barn with rope training facilities, lecture room, small kitchen, toilet, limited camping & floor space.  It really is a great venue & the gang have done a brilliant job in developing it.

Find us on Facebook (you will need to join the Group before you can join the event itself):

Dachstein (Austria) Caving Expeditions

Cave Expedition Training Workshop

Dachstein Caving Expedition ?18

Instagram: Dachstein Caving Expeditions

Ian Ball

This looks very interesting, I'll have to check out the Facebook links this evening.

Actually, sorry to post pointlessly, I can't make that weekend, inconveniently it is a few years after I got married. 

droid

Sounds like a good course.

But the best way of learning about expeditions is to go on one.

The Matienzo Project is a particularly appropriate one for this: friendly, welcoming and organised.

Joel Corrigan

"But the best way of learning about expeditions is to go on one." 

Really?  Thanks for clearing that up, Sherlock, but there are a lot of skills that can be passed on prior to departure which is why these events are organised.  And pushing 1.5km deep Alpine caves is a slightly different ballgame to the one you're promoting on our thread so we stand by the value of our workshop  :)

Is this aimed at student cavers mainly or is it open to "normal" cavers, including those with very little experience?

Cheers

Simon Wilson

Joel Corrigan said:
... pushing 1.5km deep Alpine caves is a slightly different ballgame to the one you're promoting on our thread ...

(y)

Just slightly  :LOL:

Of course people preparing for the other type of expedition can be seen taking training seriously every weekend in pubs around the country.

Andyj23UK

droid said:

and the worst way of leanring about exped = just turning up with zero idea of what is required and the incorrect gear etc etc etc

thats why mr corrigan and others do pre exped training - so that people actually attend - fit , prepared with the right kit - and so actually contribute and enjoy themselves

aricooperdavis

MJenkinson said:
Is this aimed at student cavers mainly or is it open to "normal" cavers, including those with very little experience?

Cheers

Open to, and aimed at, absolutely everyone regardless of experience! One of the cavers on the Dachstein expedition last year first tried SRT at this training weekend (y)

droid

Andyj23UK said:
droid said:

and the worst way of leanring about exped = just turning up with zero idea of what is required and the incorrect gear etc etc etc

thats why mr corrigan and others do pre exped training - so that people actually attend - fit , prepared with the right kit - and so actually contribute and enjoy themselves

You're not reading the post.

I didn't say going on an expedition was the ONLY way to learn, just the BEST.

You can go on all the courses you like, do all the pre-prep you like, it's only when you're THERE that you do the real learning.

aricooperdavis

droid said:
You can go on all the courses you like, do all the pre-prep you like, it's only when you're THERE that you do the real learning.

We'd love to get more people coming on both the expedition and the training! Lots of people worry that they're not experienced enough to come on expedition, so it's nice to be able to show them the ropes (so to speak) in a safer and more comfortable environment, whilst also being able to answer any questions they may have about what kit they'll need, or whether they can borrow it. It's also a nice way to meet the people you'll be on expedition with :)

Edit: I didn't really get to the point with that comment, did I? What I meant was that this training isn't aiming to replace the learning that you'll get on the expedition, but enhance the overall expedition experience.

droid

aricooperdavis said:
Edit: I didn't really get to the point with that comment, did I? What I meant was that this training isn't aiming to replace the learning that you'll get on the expedition, but enhance the overall expedition experience.

Maybe I didn't make my point too lucidly either.... :LOL:

I totally endorse what you are saying.