Abrasion resistant harness

Alex

Having worn out yet another harness, thanks going to Hammer for finishing it off, I am wondering what is the most abrasion resitant harness out there, as its blooming expensive buying one every 6 months.

I know partly why it wares down to the caves I visit and the fact  I don't take it off through the gnarly bits. But I need something to drag the bags/hang the bags from and I would rather wear it than carry the extra weight in a bag. Also before anyone suggests a belay belt, I hate them with a passion no matter how tight you tie them up they always end up round your ankles after a while, and is far more likely to get me wedged then my snuggly fitting harness.

I have tried gaffer taping the buckles to try and reduce the dame but it wears in other places such as the attachment point that I cannot gaffer and the gaffer can wear through in one trip anyway.

So whats the best out there? I was using an MTD. Petzle seems to wear through quicker and digger was just awful.

JRL

At work we coat things in polyurethane, lifting (webbing) slings for example. You may have seen coloured capping mat, we make that too.
I'm willing to coat a harness or belt as a trial for somebody if they want it doing. It might be worth spraying a worn out harness first. Can't guarantee it will work but I think it's worth a try. Get in touch if interested.

JRL

Alex

Hmm could be interesting JRL, but would it not make the harness so stiff it would make it impossible to put it on?

The suit idea is also interesting but I already do wear out my oversuits quite quickly. I think I need to start caving in chainmail.

JRL

Don't know until I try it. The sprayed on PU will is very flexible and is a minimum of about 0.25mm thick.

AR

Maybe something along the lines of a rope protector would do the job, with velcro-fastening sleeves that could go over the harness components but get taken off very quickly?

You can buy a heat shrink plastic. I bought some of e bay to use for rope lengths. You effectively slide it over the rope heat it up and it shrinks on to the rope. I thunk you can get it in different sizes.

Amy

Pangaea uses a heavy duty mesh for making harnesses durable. Although probably more padded than ya'all like to have. I will say although it looks like a big bulky padded harness, it's very light and packs damn small as it was designed for such purpose. What are you wearing through on the harness exactly? Is there a particular join or section?

An idea if it's simply the webbing main part of the harness wearing out, perhaps get tubular webbing and slide it over the spots that wear. Replace the tubular webbing as desired, as it will take the wear. Mighty cheap and effective solution perhaps!

pwhole

Maybe manufacturers could consider using different (better) materials - like Spectra or Kevlar? They'd be more expensive, but much tougher, espcially with abrasion. Similarly, Kevlar oversuits - wouldn't they work? Admittedly they might be ?300, but if they lasted 'forever'...

http://www.fibermaterialsinc.com/kevlar.htm

Amy

Custom Cave Gear out of PA addresses this...for example Mud is using the same oversuit for like...what...12 years now or some rediculous amount even in the very abrassive PA caves and lots of dig projects and all that jazz. They use a lot of materials typical bulk cavesupply manufacturers dont use. Suits are more expensive...but they last so long so.....yeah. =)

paull

ill have a chat with you about harnesses on the 10th if your at the school ? the one i use is one that Tony gets for me as he doesnt stock them normally and they are a cracking harness and a lot tougher than a petzl

paul

pwhole said:
Maybe manufacturers could consider using different (better) materials - like Spectra or Kevlar? They'd be more expensive, but much tougher, espcially with abrasion. Similarly, Kevlar oversuits - wouldn't they work? Admittedly they might be ?300, but if they lasted 'forever'...

http://www.fibermaterialsinc.com/kevlar.htm

Kevlar is relatively "slippery" whan compared to nylon and this may be why it isn't used for harnesses plus a harness needs some shock absorbance properties in case of falls and I'm pretty sure that Kevlar is pretty limited in that respect?

cap n chris

Contacted Dupont (Kevlar manufacturers) ages ago: it's no use for caving 'cos Kevlar doesn't react well with water! Also it costs a MINT per square metre!

Amy

Custom Cave Gear doesn't have a website yet because they are so busy with sales without a website, and everything is custom made to fit you perfect so it can take a bit since it's not an off-the-shelf make. Mud is on facebook (he's posted on this forum some but I doubt he'd see a message) https://www.facebook.com/mud.hancock?fref=ts he's on facebook a decent amount.

Pangaea is the same, but they are on facebook as well. The pads on the seat harness are fully removable. It may seem bulky but like I said, the pads compact reallllly well and are really lightweight. Again, he uses different materials the mass producing manufactures dont, and each system is custom built. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pangaea-Vertical-Caving-Systems/177172535687423?fref=ts

I have to say after using custom made gear, I'll never go back. More costly but  holds up longer and fits my body perfectly.  :)