Caving Wiki

SamT

Theres been some talk on here recently of using a wiki to create a UK caving database that is updatable, etc etc.

Well.........

UKcaving.com is possibly going to start the ball rolling. The wiki software has been installed, and myself and bubba are going to start having a play.

Just wanted to make sure that - a: nobody out there (cookie) has just started to do the same. b: invite comments and thoughts.

oh boy - I reckon this one will run and run

bubba

Administrator
http://ukcaving.com/wiki

This is currently for experimental use only!!

Firstly, I don't know much about wikis.
Secondly, if this project is successful, then I will convert it so that it can be linked in with the rest of ukc, ie only members can make edits, etc.

Cookie

No plans for a national wiki. I have plans to turn the CSCC site into a Wiki because I think that is a good way of managing information based sites like the CSCC's. The Officers can up date info, rather than relying on the webmaster. The Access section will not be a wiki but is to become database driven. I thought that part of the wiki would be given over to cave descriptions, photos etc. But I think that would live in a national wiki so much better.  (y)

My only concern is what would happen to it if you (Bubba) move on to pastures new. I would hate for all the effort involved and information held to be lost. If you could give similar assurances that you gave for this Forum that would eliminate the concern.  :kiss2:

Built on the back of this Forum and the support that it gets it can be nothing but a success.  :clap:

bubba

Administrator
Well, don't go mad with it yet, like I say it's only an experiment.

If I move on to pastures new then all the databases will be passed on to somebody else who wants to continue the upkeep, assuming somebody does.

The only problem is if I ever suddenly drop dead. Really, I need to leave the passwords/etc with somebody trusted who could release them in case of my death. Shit, that's morbid, but I guess it needs thinking about.

Peter Burgess

Our club has a part of its constitution that defines what happens to the club's assets in the event we are wound up. Perhaps something similar is needed for UKCaving? Like find an organisation NOW who would be happy to look after it until someone else wanted to take it on. (How about the BCA as interim caretaker?)

Cave_Troll

Ooo this looks exciting.
any plans?
Country
  Region
    Area
      Cave

UK
  Peak district
      Caves of the Bradwell Catchment
        Crematorium pot

Can we play?  :D

SamT

Cave_Troll said:
Ooo this looks exciting.
any plans?
Country
  Region
     Area
       Cave

UK
   Peak district
      Caves of the Bradwell Catchment
        Crematorium pot

Thats what I was thinking.

Dont know if we want to agree a format before people start editing like mad. Prehaps agree to do one cave from each Geographical location. eg One from Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Mendip for starters, refine the 'look' of those - then use them as a base for the rest. Thoughts??

(wasn't expecting bubba to reveal the wiki yet till we'd had a play.)

Cave_Troll

Is it possible to automatically create cave index at different levels?
ie
a list of all the caves in the uk in alphabetical order
a list of all the caves in the peak district in alphabetical order
a list of all the caves in the Bradwell area in alphabetical order

all three automatically updated because someone added a cave on bradwell moor.

cap n chris

Even if it's only one-tenth as good as I imagine it will be, it will still be superb. An idea whose time is ripe, I'd say. It links in with so many other topics; it should be possible to have cave-by-cave files containing survey(s), pics, C&A, access, warnings, route(s), .... basically everything and anything. Updatable by cavers subject to peer review (or somesuch).

Cave_Troll

of course remembering that most surveys are copyright and you can't just put them on the web.
drawing your own P-Hanger rigging topos is another option, but denies the "official" guides (CNCC / DCA) the revenue thus restricitng further bolting.
perhaps Pitch Rope lengths only?

bubba

Administrator
I think anything caving related can go in, but it might be a good idea to outline a basic top level structure before starting.

Cave_troll's list is good for info about caves/areas, but I think we need other top level  things like:

equipment
history
etc

?

TBH, I've not got much more of an idea than anyone else.

The reason that this is test-only at present is that the future plans for ukcaving involve hooking the whole site up to a content management system, where the cms/gallery/forum/wiki logins are all integrated and controlled by the CMS. It's a work in progress, but it's taking forever to get done!

bubba

Administrator
One thing that might be worth doing in the meantime...

If you're going to make edits to the wiki, please create an account with the same name as your forum name. This will make things much easier to keep track of.

I've turned off guest editing to stop things getting abused.

bubba

Administrator
Peter Burgess said:
Our club has a part of its constitution that defines what happens to the club's assets in the event we are wound up. Perhaps something similar is needed for UKCaving? Like find an organisation NOW who would be happy to look after it until someone else wanted to take it on. (How about the BCA as interim caretaker?)

I think a mate will do the job just fine.

bubba

Administrator
Sorry, I set myself up as "adminWiki" as opposed to "bubba" - just so you know it's me...

paul

bubba said:
Cave_Troll said:

Yes! Feel free to start adding to/editing the wiki, but please ensure you sign up using the same username as you use here.

Is it enabled of eveyone to use yet?

I tried both Logging on  and creating a new account but got:
"Login error:There is no user by the name "Paul". Check your spelling, or create a new account."