Giants Tomorrow.

Oscar D

Was looking at going down Giant?s tomorrow to do the round trip. However I?ve noticed there?s a quite a bit of rain forecast for Castleton overnight. I?ve been in Giant?s a few times previously, but only in dry weather. I?m just wondering how much water will be in the system, I don?t mind sporting, but I don?t want to get washed away. Many thanks. ;)

Pete K

At the start of the week I was planning on heading in there tomorrow with clients (round trip). I won't be now. Above Garlands may be fine but below is a risk not worth taking with the forecast as it is IMO.

Oscar D

Pete K said:
At the start of the week I was planning on heading in there tomorrow with clients (round trip). I won't be now. Above Garlands may be fine but below is a risk not worth taking with the forecast as it is IMO.

I had a feeling that would be the case. Looks like I'll have to go elsewhere then. It's supposed to be drier in Mendip so maybe I'll give Swildons a go. Thanks for the advice  (y)

pwhole

I was in there a month ago just after the last flood, and there was grass and mud caught on the Y-hang at the top of Geology Pot. I don't know if that means the pot itself flooded to the roof, but it must mean that the stream was at least head-height?

We went in to do the upper with some freshers yesterday. Water was probably the highest I've seen, with some strong flow. Added some extra challenge to the tight bits when your feet were getting swept away at the same time!

Garlands looked easily passable but I didn't go down and look at the crabwalk so that could have given you trouble. There was a ladder on the pitch (with no lifeline to boot!) so someone did go further in, but I didn't see them.

Alex

I know its no good for novices, but is it not possible to rig Garlands on the right-hand side to reach that big ledge, it would require quite a technical swing but that would allow an emergency dry route. Is that route anchored? I have heard of people free climbing it!