Poland

L

lmarlow

Going on holiday to Poland in July. Staying just outside Krakow. Does anybody know of any worthwhile easy caves in the area? I don't want to lug loads of kit with me (it's meant to be a family holiday) but would like to spend at least one day wandering around in the dark. I know there is the salt mines and at least one show cave in the South of the Ojicow National Park, but I was after some independant exploration. Any help appreciated. I don't speak or read Polish and can't make head or tail of any of the Polish websites.

AndyF

The Salt mines are Krakow are totally amazing, and IIRC you can go on an "adventure trip" where they take you ino the far flung corners....  I ddint do it, but my mates did and were very impressed

graham

Could be this year's "place to go". A UBSS party has just got back from Poland. They were doing vertical stuff with the locals. though.

L

lmarlow

Just got back from Poland. It was a family trip and we rented a cottage near the Ojcow National Park. There are loads of caves in the area. In the main they are fairly small and horizontal in nature. There are a number of topos (surveys) to be found at http://www.sktj.pl/epimenides/jura_p.html

I don't speak Polish much beyond the confines of my phrasebook. However Jaskinie means cave and you can take it from there!! I found the best approach was to try and find a cave on the map and then find it the list at the website. The book shop next to the city museum in the main square in Cracow sells loads of GPS compatible maps for around 10 Zl which is less than £2 (you will find prices in Poland very competitive compared to the UK). I understand that you need a permit to adventure cave in the Ojcow Valley, but I don't know how you obtain these.

All in all I would certainly recommend a trip to Poland to do some exploring (Easyjet a long weekend). There is also a lot of climbing on the limestone cliffs. This is very varied in grade but much of it is pre-bolted. Again if you search the net there are some topo guides, but you could just try on-siting stuff. I suppose it depends on wether or not you are into ticking or exploring.

The Salt Mines are definately worth a visit, but make sure you ask for an English tour whenyou buy your ticket.