caver nicknames

Amy

I'm just curious as to what ya'alls nicknames are and what the stories behind it are! I hadn't heard of such until I was there two years back but there are some nicknamed cavers here too I've found. And although few folks in mendip area there tried calling me cuddleslut (long story involving falling asleep twice in one night leaning against two different guys, swear I didn't try to!), here I've gotten the nickname Cave Bunny (which frankly, I like it a lot better so I"m happy about it haha). I guess 'cause I have rabbits, and my personality is bouncyhappy and reminds people of bunnyrabbits I guess. And then it's just funny because of the implied double entendre.

Antwan

Once a year I get called 'Wet Beaver' and my friend 'Tight Beaver' after him getting stuck for some time going down cow pot, and me somehow getting been the only person who got wet by the time we hit the bottom of lancaster (I think it was the Ice crashing down the pot behind me as I waited for Tight Beaver) and we were both wearing Beaver Oversuits

Alex

Everyone in the YSS calls me Lionel based on my last name, very un-original but it stuck.

I don't have one in the BRCC infact no one in that club is generally called by a nickname.

blackshiver

As a kid in the early 70's I used to carry for a cave diver called "SPRACK" and I never knew name. Once when walking up to Meregill I broached the subject of his real name and he told me it was Paul (Atkinson). On asking why everyone called him "Sprack" his one line , deadpan answer was "xxxx knows - it stuck at school and never left".
Sprack - if you are still alive and kicking I hope you are well.
P.S - love you "cuddleslut".

cavemancolumbus

Black Rose has a caver that passes himself off under the nickname 'Dan.' He is actually called Milkybar, as his mother saw he bore an uncanny resemblance to the Milkybar Kid. She'd also had alot of morphine ect during the birth.

After 18 years of merciless bullying he went off to Uni and joined the caving club. He tried saying his name was Daniel, but his golden locks meant he got IDed lot, and the club saw his passport, with the name 'Milkybar Jackson.' He winged allot, so was quickly nicknamed 'Milkyponce,' which caused him to winge even more.

Perhaps it was the stress of having the piss ripped out of him, or maybe its just because he is old, but he has lost all his hair. This has ment that he has been quite successful convincing BRCC that Dan is his real name. On his old Uni clubs rare trips to Yorkshire he is pinned down, the club emblem is drawn on his bald head or less bald arse and he answers to Milkyponce. He doesnt let his old friends meet his BRCC palls.

Alex

He does as I met some of them at Dachstien and found out that name there, but I had already gotten used to calling him Dan by then and could not be bothered changing it lol.

gus horsley

Gus isn't my real name but I got the nickname when I was a kid and our old dog Gus died.  From that point on I took on it's personality.  Heavy stuff I know but there you go....now where did I bury that bone?

Alkapton

I call myself Alkapton because I am probably the only caver in the world to suffer from ochronosis alkaptonoria.  Rare genetic disease of the metabolism (next disease in a chain after albinoism - each disease hase different and more sever effects - in my case arthritic joins are the main problem, hence my lack of speed under or over ground)

andys

After a succession of highly dubious nicknames, beginnning with ones given at school and culminating when I started work, I decided to invent one instead. To increase its realism, I went for something distasteful and derogatory, but it never caught on so I only use it myself. Mostly when logging onto pr0n sites.

dunc

I've escaped nicknames generally, there was a brief period where I was reffered to as Chunks/Chunkylad or variations thereof by another caver, purely "because it sounded good" rather than anything to do with my build/girth/etc. A minority of people called me Baldrick at school, but that was when I actually had hair that was a touch wild, still not convinced on the likeness even to this day, but I have to say I liked the name!

bograt

In 1973(ish), when I was at college, we used to go into the canteen ( sorry, refrectory) straight after the Wednesday afternoon caving trip, not having the chance to clean up, a couple of my hall mates would often say "you look like a bog rat" because of my unconventional appearence.
This died out after leaving college until, 4 years later, Terry Worthington saw me digging  at P6 and said "you look just like a Bog Rat", I figured this was meant to be ( just like sh*t sticks, so do caving nicknames) I made a reputation with the name (good or bad, depends on who you listen to) don't give a damn, I am who I am, take it or leave it.
I don't like kids coming up to me thinking it is derogatory so I often make the point of saying " have you ever been underground with me?, have you ever been caving in the same holes as me? have you the right to call me by my caving name?"
In a demented way I am proud of my CAVING nickname.

I am who I am, those who matter know it, those who don't know don't matter.

BOGRAT