Waterfalls are...

Amy

...f*cking cold.

Sorry I felt this warranted a thread. It has been a long time since I was in a waterfall like that in a cave. Only about 10ft (3m ish) was in the falls. Straight in the falls. We've had lots of rain, levels in caves are higher than I've ever seen them. Holyschmoly. We had to abort our pulldown, it was rather toilet-bowl! Luckily we anticipated this and had hard-rigged it, although we were able to 'escape' out the Snail Poo entrance.  (y)

Waterfalls are also f*cking awesome!
Entrance sink:
8666463825_7a3ccf4f75.jpg

Inside:
8667565322_101c8a3a49.jpg

Pitlamp

:LOL:

Actually, that photograph with the waterfall and the shafts of light is very impressive Amy.

Les W

Amy said:
...f*cking cold.

Sorry I felt this warranted a thread. It has been a long time since I was in a waterfall like that in a cave. Only about 10ft (3m ish) was in the falls. Straight in the falls. We've had lots of rain, levels in caves are higher than I've ever seen them. Holyschmoly. We had to abort our pulldown, it was rather toilet-bowl! Luckily we anticipated this and had hard-rigged it, although we were able to 'escape' out the Snail Poo entrance.  (y)

Which is why we use Alpine style rigging away from the water... :sneaky: :tease:

Pitlamp

H'm - Amy, you said the water levels in your caves are higher than you've ever seen them. If I was clever enough to work out how to do it I'd be tempted to paraphrase a certain well known film and say: "Nah, that's not a waterfall - THIS is a waterfall!" (alongside a picture of the big pitch in Diccan on a bad day).

jonnyrocketboots

I love Diccan, Such a beautiful cave. Its personal tho, 3 times I tried to get into it and she beat me. 4th time lucky tho and the elements and forecast was on my side so managed a Diccan/Alum exchange! Fantastic trip, One of my faves!

Nice photos tho Amy, Thankyou for them! I'm  enjoying  a rare and  lazy afternoon. Any more to share with us??

JRB

Amy

Les W said:
Which is why we use Alpine style rigging away from the water... :sneaky: :tease:
Oh this main shaft isn't in the falls, there are actually three rig spots totally out of the water, and one, even you Brits would approve of with a high assist redirect dropping the rope right into the hole and never touching a single wall :p This main shaft is 180ft drop. The spot that was about 10ft in the water was the pulldown trip, this cave is very mazy, about 1500ft of passage but something like 7 or 8 entrances and much vertical, there are quite a few routes one could take actually. The most popular pulldown is an entrance on the backside of this peak which has something like a 35ft, 30 ft, and 20ft drops. It dumps you out into the main chamber and you can walk out from there (there is a side horizontal entrance). It was that pulldown route we had to abort, typically it's a non-issue :p

Joe Duxbury said:
Pitlamp said:
Actually, that photograph with the waterfall and the shafts of light is very impressive Amy.

It certainly is. What cave is that, Amy?
Thank you =) It is Stephens Gap.

jonnyrocketboots said:
I love Diccan, Such a beautiful cave. Its personal tho, 3 times I tried to get into it and she beat me. 4th time lucky tho and the elements and forecast was on my side so managed a Diccan/Alum exchange! Fantastic trip, One of my faves!

Nice photos tho Amy, Thankyou for them! I'm  enjoying  a rare and  lazy afternoon. Any more to share with us??

JRB
Diccan sounds fun...and like I might want a wetsuit? haha. I do have more, just finished them. I always take hundreds of photos in this cave and then have to stitch panoramas and deal with varied lighting and all that jazz haha.

Halfway down main chamber I shot this panoramic:
8669787937_892baf8b69.jpg

Shows the entireity (well, mostly, there is some behind me and such) of the main chamber, you can see the two main entrances, the pit entrance on the left, horizontal on the right.
8670890144_c0966348b9.jpg

I was climbing, Brandi is rappelling. As you can see, the main drop has ropes totally out of the water. Well, until the bottom, where it's a hurricane no matter where you stood this day, LOL
8669788699_850ce038b9.jpg