Caving gear clearout

Dave Ing

I'm a climber, not a caver, but I picked up a bunch of climbing and caving gear and having made good use of the climbing gear , I have the caving gear left over. I don't know much about it, but I'll answer any questions as best I can. In particular, I haven't seen the carbide lamp working, but I'm sure all the required parts are there.

See pictures here: http://www.ingerslev.me.uk/webimages/Caving%20Gear.jpg

Separately:
- Rack descender ?20
- Caving ladder ?35
- Carbide (acetylene) lamp ?50
- Whistle ?2.50
- Petzl Zoom ?15
- Cows tails FREE
- Helmet ?20
- Knee pad FREE
- Fleece undersuit (M) ?25
- Blue caving oversuit (M) ?45
- Red caving oversuit (M) with size 11 boots ?50
- Bolt hangers ?3 each

Or get a bargain - ?220 the lot!

Postage not included - to be added at cost, or come and pick it up from Bristol.

cap n chris

Judging from the photo, the hangers look OK and all the non-PPE stuff is probably usable by a noob on a budget but the carbide generator might be u/s (I'm guessing it's not been fired up in a while) and is also waaaay out of date now that LEDs rock (flaming notwithstanding, pun intended) but I'd recommend that the safety-critical kit is best smelted or given to someone you vehemently dislike! (e.g. if the ladder cable has rusted sections - which it looks like - then it'll probably fail/snap on first use: certainly the cabling looks majorly kinked in several places which is another bad sign of a poorly used/maintained ladder!). New bars can be purchased for the rack, but in its present state I'd be wary and certainly wouldn't use it!

graham

Given that only on a cursory inspection the ladder and the rack are knackered, I would not trust any of the PPE. I agree with Chris that the carbide probably wouldn't be much cop, either.

Dave Ing

Thanks guys!

I think the rack isn't as bad as you think, I routinely use second-hand hardware when climbing and have looked it over for cracks etc, but on your advice the ladder, rack and carbide generator are getting binned.

Remaining:
- Carbide headset ?15
- Whistle ?2.50
- Petzl Zoom ?15
- Cows tails FREE
- Helmet ?20
- Knee pad FREE
- Red caving oversuit (M) with size 11 boots ?50
- Bolt hangers ?3 each

droid

Don't bin the rack!

If you're in Bristol I might give you a fiver for it, doesn't look any worse than mine.... ;)

IanWalker

Don't bin the carbide set, it will be useful for spares even if it doesn't work? Would be a shame to bin it. I'd give you a fiver, sold as seen, plus P&P of course.

You could try your luck on eBay with the other stuff if you get no takers on here?

Dave Ing

Thanks again. I'm proposing to bin just the generator pack, unless you think that's worth saving by itself, the headset is for sale as spares.

I have found the second knee pad and they appear to me to be warmbac? coated - a pale yellow rubber 0.5cm coating - so I'm now looking for ?15 plus postage for the pair.

I have some more info on the oversuits following a venture into the attic:
    The blue one is a PVC-like oversuit. It has a label which reads EMS MAULEVRIER-49 FRANCE TAILLE/HEIGHT M. The crotch to neck measurement is approx 75cm, chest is approx 110cm around. 1.4kg so postage for this item will be ?5
    The red one is a full drysuit but the rubber seals have perished and need replacing (I can recommend Rubberman http://www.rubberman.co.uk who my mates use for kayaking drysuit seal repairs). Crotch to neck is approx 75cm, chest is approx 110cm around. Boots are size 11. I can't find a make on the suit. 5kg so postage for this item will be ?12
    Combined postage for both would be ?12.

I have decided to keep the cow's tails to use as tat for abseils when climbing.

Now remaining:
- Carbide headset ?15
- Whistle ?2.50
- Petzl Zoom ?15
- Helmet with headlamp ?20
- Knee pads ?15
- Red drysuit (M) with size 11 boots ?50
- Bolt hangers ?3 each

IanWalker

re carbide set, you might as well give the generator away with the headset, don't understand why you want to bin it when it might work perfectly?

ian.

Dave Ing

Fair point Ian, if it's dangerous though I'd rather bin it. I guess I'll let the buyer take the risk / decide whether it's worth the additional postage cost.

Fleece undersuit has now been sold. All other items remain.

I've had interest in the oversuit (which is in v good condition, I think I may have under-priced it) but none in the drysuit. I think I might send that off to get the seals repaired myself then sell it in a much more usable condition.

Dave Ing

Knee pads have now been sold.

Remaining:
- Carbide headset ?15 with free (possibly dangerous) untested generator pack
- Whistle ?2.50
- Petzl Zoom ?15
- Blue caving oversuit (M) ?45 (full details in post 17th Nov)
- Red drysuit (M) with size 11 boots ?50 (full details in post 17th Nov)
- Bolt hangers ?3 each

Postage not included.

Dave Ing

The bolt hangers are now promised.

Remaining:
- Carbide headset ?15 with free (possibly dangerous) untested generator pack
- Whistle ?2.50
- Petzl Zoom ?15
- Blue caving oversuit (M) ?45 (full details in post 17th Nov)
- Red drysuit (M) with size 11 boots ?50 (full details in post 17th Nov)

Dave Ing

I didn't make it up into the attic last night and we're away this weekend now, so I'll look on Sunday/Monday.

cavermark

Eejays said:
Hi what headlamp is on the helmet? Does it all work?

Cheers

Looks quite like a Petzl Mega in the photo (zoom headset and battery box that takes 3 "C" cells). Pretty worthless even if it does work I'd say.

Dave Ing

The bolt hangers, carbide set and helmet have now gone and the oversuit is promised.

Remaining:
-Whistle ?2.50
-Petzl Zoom NOW ?10
-Red drysuit (M) with size 11 boots ?50 (full details in post 17th Nov)