More resignations at BCA

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Last week we heard that Claire Ross, BCA C&A Officer resigned citing "... the situation generally within the BCA and the infighting and complete disrespect for each other, I have no wish to continue in post and would appreciate it if you would take this email as my resignation from this position."  This followed similar sentiments from others including Jane Allen who stepped down as P&I Officer at last weeks council meeting.

Today we heard that Les Williams has resigned as chairman of BCA for personal reasons.  Whilst some might see this as an organisation in crisis - and it is.  Others have stepped up to fill the roles immediately with Mad Phil Rowsel taking over as an acting chairman and Will Burns at C&A.

Good luck to all the new council members trying to move things forward.  Stopping the infighting, the undermining of volunteers, improving the atmosphere and moving a modernising agenda forward has got to be the first and biggest challenge.

JoshW

Would like to take this opportunity to thank Les for his time as Chairman and Claire and Jane in their respective roles.

Also thanks to MadPhil and Will for stepping into these important roles. I was "at" the BCA council meeting the other day and thought Phil did a great job as stand-in chairman.

I'd like to think this could be viewed as a position of changeover, lots of keen people stepping into roles, and hopefully nudging BCA in the right direction.

One thing I would like to see more of from the BCA is a bit of openness, and it's certainly something I'll be pushing for going forwards.

Whilst it is sad that we are losing people from roles, for person reasons, or other, looking through maybe optimistic glasses, I can see that change is happening, and it could be for good. Alternatively it could be total shit, but who knows  :confused:

Tseralo

It's a shame to see people stepping down especially when I know they were trying to do good. I am concerned that some of the people causing the issues are not the ones stepping down and in some ways are they getting what they want? I don't blame anyone for walking away from it though and thank them for what they have done.

alastairgott

Good luck Bogmaster Burns, I heard you made a great article about Coronavirus in Caves. I look forward to reading it, will it be remixed and released as an Autotune hit.

2xw

alastairgott said:
will it be remixed and released as an Autotune hit.

With Rostam in the P&I role I have grave concerns about BCA policy being broadcast in the medium of song

Pete K

It's sad to lose volunteers under a dark cloud, but equally quite positive that we have new folk stepping in so swiftly. I wish you all the best and am grateful for those of you who take on these roles.

nearlywhite

2xw said:
With Rostam in the P&I role I have grave concerns about BCA policy being broadcast in the medium of song

I mean this idea obviously has some popularity judging by all the likes... An operetta on caving advice during the pandemic would be a touch challenging though

gingerlycolors

So sorry to see Les go at the BCA.  His will be a hard act to follow.  Hopefully I will continue to see him at some of our UCET meets and next year's Hidden Earth.  I understand that things have been difficult at the BCA and the current coronavirus pandemic and it's knock-on effects have made things worst.

rhychydwr1

Do we need BCA?  Do we need insurance?  I suppose if you own your own house, yes.  But if it is rented or mortgaged no.

nearlywhite

rhychydwr1 said:
Do we need BCA?  Do we need insurance?  I suppose if you own your own house, yes.  But if it is rented or mortgaged no.

The premise of the question is wrong, we don't NEED most things. It is however a fantastic opportunity.

And as for bait, though some would say an audience, I prefer a wide open lead.

darren

rhychydwr1 said:

Insurance is a funny thing, you never really need it. Right up to that moment when it's essential.

Remember all those people who didn't need contents insurance, right up until there house flooded and a Facebook appeal came a poor second

ZombieCake

Can the BCA / CSCC or other unholy body meeting, given the public facing depressive craziness of UK caving politics, set whatever comes out to something by Ennio Morricone?  He did after all have random shouting and warbling in his missives, and so has more resonance with the masses. Maybe a pocket watch tune at the next Hidden Earth will sort? A lot of us are bored now.

2xw

ZombieCake said:

Can the BCA / CSCC or other unholy body meeting, given the public facing depressive craziness of UK caving politics, set whatever comes out to something by Ennio Morricone?  He did after all have random shouting and warbling in his missives, and so has more resonance with the masses. Maybe a pocket watch tune at the next Hidden Earth will sort? A lot of us are bored now.

For a Few Motions More, followed by the Good the Bad and the ACB

droid

How about a policy that Proposals are to be presented via the medium of Interpretive Dance?

NewStuff

ZombieCake said:
Can the BCA / CSCC or other unholy body meeting, given the public facing depressive craziness of UK caving politics, set whatever comes out to something by Ennio Morricone?

I would have thought Primus was more fitting to caving... enjoyed mainly by men with beards, and most people don't get it.