Ian Cummins

digscaves

With great sadness and regret, I would like to let the wider caving community know of the sudden death earlier today of Ian Cummins.

Once available further details of arrangements will be posted here.

RIP Ian

Chris C
WRPC

alastairgott

I have only met Ian a handful of times, but on every occasion I found him to be a great guy to listen to. Whether you spent one minute with Ian or one day, you immediately got a sense of passionate exploration.

A real inspiration.

Benfool

I met Ian for the first time on Saturday when I went for a couple of dives with him in Capenwray to try out a new drysuit. I found him a proper character and a pleasure to be around - his passion for British caving and exploration was obvious. I was very much looking forward to spending more time with him and getting to know him. My thoughts are with his wife and friends.

Bad week for Northern caving :(

jcarter5826

I met Ian only once, but immediately took a liking to him. We started to correspond regularly on his exploits in langstrothdale and many other areas. Exchanging info on Coverdale caves and diving. His enthusiasm was infectious. He will be sadly missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and usage of fingers

Pitlamp

This really is awful news. I only started to get to know Ian over the last year or two; he was working towards joining the Cave Diving Group. I knew him as an extremely hard and motivated caver, quietly getting impressive stuff done with no fuss. He was working on his diving skills and, with his long experience in pushing new caves, he would have made an excellent member of the CDG. Such a genuine bloke!

I last met him at the Northern Explorers Forum in April, where he gave a fascinating presentation. What a tragedy this is, especially for his close friends but also for the Dales caving community generally.

Adele - if you're reading this - I did get the message you sent via BW this evening; many thanks for thinking to let me know, at this difficult time.

JAA

Tragic news. Only met Ian for the first time Sunday! My deepest condolences to his friends and family.

Simon Beck

Attachments

• Ian Goat Inlet.jpg
    Ian Goat Inlet.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 345
  • Ian Swarthgill.jpg
    Ian Swarthgill.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 295
  • Ian Rowten.jpg
    Ian Rowten.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 352
  • Ian Langcliffe Pot.jpg
    Ian Langcliffe Pot.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 360

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Saddened to hear this news.  Ian was a top bloke and serious caver.  They really are pulling from our pen this week.  Deepest condolences to all his family and friends - especially his close caving friends.

Duncan Price

Very sorry to hear this.  We'd not met but he was coming down to the CDG training camp in Somerset this weekend and having heard good things about him I was looking forward to meeting him.

Alex

Another great gone... though I barely knew him, I knew of his exploits underground. A proper hard caver from what hear and surely a sad loss to the caving community.

Balmerfish

wl

Best wear my heart on my sleeve here. This has taken some writing as I don?t want to believe this is reality.

To begin to list Ians achievements in his life - would require a book.

Ian was my best friend. Yesterday was the worst day ever. This stands in stark contrast to every other day I?ve spent with my mate. Had i not seen yesterday with my own eye, I wouldn?t believe this shit.

This man was a legend to me. I lived every moment with Ian.

Ian has been a massive influence on my life. We had lots of plans for the summer with our caving - this weekend we were going to CDG training camp. I feel robbed that he won?t be here.

Sunday we went caving in a rather wet Redmire.  Hearing  the words - Well ya can?t drown if ya close ya mouth can ya ? Made me chuckle - this was one of a thousand happy times with a great man.

I will miss Ian Cummins immensely.

Ian?s family was central to him, my thoughts, support and sympathies are with Sue, Beth and George. 

Photo Dowbergill  - Ian pretending we arnt lost... again. Mate I feel a bit lost.

georgenorth

I?m really saddened to hear this news. I only met Ian once in 2008 during a trip through Cripple Creek in Ireby Fell Cavern. Neil Pacey and myself were heading through into Ireby II, and we were coincidentally joined by Ian and Simon Beck who were heading the same way. I seem to remember that we had an entertaining time demonstrating all the tricks of the cave! It was great to meet Ian, who was a bit of an all around hero - not just for his caving exploits, but also for the climbs and boulder problems which he put up in the North East, particularly at Goldsborough Carr and Slipstones. Some of these are very difficult indeed, and will be a lasting testament to his steely fingers and talent.

I?ll greatly miss reading Ian?s trip reports on the White Rose website and am gutted that we?ll never meet again. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

George North

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Adele asked me to add a photo of Ian to her post as she's had some difficulty with it.  Many folks had tried to download without success, so it's there now on Adele's moving post above.

I had the pleasure of caving with Ian and couldn't believe how flexible he was - I remember him nonchalantly stood rigging a pitch, almost doing the splits  :)  He also posted regularly on facebook and I loved his posts about nature and the wildlife he saw around him.  What a lovely guy and such a sad loss.  My thoughts and best wishes to his friends and family and to Adele - sending a hug xx

scurve

This is a huge loss to the caving world; Ian Cummins was one of the best cave explorers around, pushing hard stuff more than most and, as a few have mentioned already, writing informative and enjoyable trip reports that kept so many of us entertained.

richardg

With a heavy heart here are details of our friend Ian's funeral..

21st June
Darlington Crematorium 2:15pm

Followed by a gathering at the Hole in the Wall also in Darlington.

Richard.

digscaves

richardg said:
With a heavy heart here are details of our friend Ian's funeral..

21st June
Darlington Crematorium 2:15pm

Followed by a gathering at the Hole in the Wall also in Darlington.

Richard.

For anyone who has not seen FB posts from Ian's wife Sue. The family request, no cards or flowers but feel free to donate instead to the Great North Air Ambulance or a cave rescue team.

Address for Crematorium:- Carmel Road North, Darlington, DL3 8RY

Hole in the Wall:- 14-15 Horse Market, Darlington DL1 5PT

From Ian's daughters FB post. Friends are welcome at either or both
Dress code is whatever your comfortable in prAna/wetsuit/suit

Chris
WRPC