Found a Welly

Stupot

Found a welly boot in Swildon's Sump 1, a new one and in good condition.

I am still having difficuty understanding how someone can loose a welly, i mean it's not like you come out after a trip and then think "oh shit my welly has come off".

But hey these things obviously happen :shock:

Let me know what it was like (i.e a welly) and you can have it back, a reward to Ant of a pint Butcombe for him carrying it out would not go amiss.

Stu.

paul

Stupot said:
I am still having difficuty understanding how someone can loose a welly, i mean it's not like you come out after a trip and then think "oh shit my welly has come off".

But hey these things obviously happen :shock:

I know - it doesn't seem possible, does it? I was on a trip through Giants Hole (Derbyshire) and on the way out, at the end of traverses above the Crab Walk, just after where you squeeze through an eye-hole in calcite, somebody asked Ken "Hey Ken - where's your welly?". Looking down, he realised it had gone missing and not noticed it!! I suppose his feet were cold or something.

The next day, another group from our club were also down Giants and found a welly on the floor in the Crabwalk - you guessed it - it was Ken's!

cap n chris

oh, it's easily done.... someone brings along trainers and is told they need proper footwear; hey presto a pair of over-sized wellies are the only thing available but they're better than nothing.... child on return has footwear washed off foot while going through lavatory pan or up double pots and despite a search, said footwear is nowhere to be found and hence no choice prevails other than to abandon the search. Exit cave hobbling and return to cars minus one boot.

Unlikely? No. Seen it done? Yes.

graham

cap 'n chris said:
oh, it's easily done.... someone brings along trainers and is told they need proper footwear; hey presto a pair of over-sized wellies are the only thing available but they're better than nothing.... child on return has footwear washed off foot while going through lavatory pan or up double pots and despite a search, said footwear is nowhere to be found and hence no choice prevails other than to abandon the search. Exit cave hobbling and return to cars minus one boot.

Unlikely? No. Seen it done? Yes.

In my humble opinion, oversize wellies are no more appropriate than trainers. If the child does not have appropriate footwear, perhaps he (or she) should have their caving trip later, when they do.

Just my take on the matter.

cap n chris

I agree with you totally, Graham; however, when there's a fait accompli and no adult to supervise on the surface for an ill-equipped child being held back from the activity, the use of oversized wellies is a commonplace to get around the "no trainers, please" prebriefing which has been ignored - also, it chastens said child who thought they'd get round the prerequisite by forcing the issue, arriving in their Nikes (load of SHITE, by the way!), thereby retaining their "street cred" in the eyes of their peers, only to be forced to wear an embarrassingly uncool pair of wellies after all - however, I usually use gaffer tape to wrap around the top of the wellies and stick them well and truly onto the leg of the juvenille.

graham

cap 'n chris said:
I agree with you totally, Graham; however, when there's a fait accompli and no adult to supervise on the surface for an ill-equipped child being held back from the activity, the use of oversized wellies is a commonplace to get around the "no trainers, please" prebriefing which has been ignored - also, it chastens said child who thought they'd get round the prerequisite by forcing the issue, arriving in their Nikes (load of SHITE, by the way!), thereby retaining their "street cred" in the eyes of their peers, only to be forced to wear an embarrassingly uncool pair of wellies after all - however, I usually use gaffer tape to wrap around the top of the wellies and stick them well and truly onto the leg of the juvenille.

Whilst I can totally approve of your wishing to take the little idiot down a peg or two and while I can see the problem of leaving them unsupervised, I wonder what your position would if, having taken these steps, there was an incident and an injury brought about by oversized wellies.

I assume that the kids are supervised on the way to the cave by someone. That someone should be made responsible for ensuring that they are properly equipped, if appropriate gear is not supplied by you, and that they will bear the responsibility for the trip not happening, because you cannot be reponsible for taking improperly equipped kids.

T

tubby two

Dunno, down otter last year and i think i was the only one out of 5 not to have a welly sucked off in the tidal sump mud! We also had a fresher manage to loose a welly swimming in birkwith this year.

Anyway stu, is it green, about foot size and comes up to mid calf height? if so its not mine.

tt.

Stupot

:LOL: Wellies are so boring aren't they, although i did see a girl caving a few weeks ago in some of these designer boots, they were bright pink with white and yellow flowers on them ....... fetching, i think the Captain may look good in a pair :shock:

Stu.

Stupot

The owner of the Wellie is apparently a scout who lost it whilst going through the sump, but didnt want to go back through for it. He purchaced a new pair from Jrats the next day.

If that scout wants it then let me know, otherwise i will plant some flowers in it or put it on Ebay for £25.

Stu.

Peter Burgess

When I was little, my mum used to tie my gloves together with a piece of string running up my arms and over my shoulders. Perhaps scouts with loose wellies should do something similar with a piece of string up the trouser legs and through the crutch.

D

darkplaces

Peter Burgess said:
Perhaps scouts with loose wellies should do something similar with a piece of string up the trouser legs and through the crutch.
:shock: With a YELP and a strangulated scream the scout informed the cave leader he still has his welly but now he can tuck his testicals in it.

Maybe wellys need a re-design with some king of lace up external flap to tighten them on. Special caving wellys, I saw a member of cave rescue had laces on his wellys, as I looked up a shaft I was going down at the time.

A

andymorgan

I'm going to get some designer wellys, ....when I decide on the best colour and design

cap n chris

Why not get some of these?...

fun-wellies-L.jpg

D

darkplaces

Oh cracking :D I want a pair - Free CD of c**tplaces media to anyone wearing them underground, photo evedence required. In an extream way!

Atleast if your stuck upside down with your legs in the air mine rescue will find you easy.

Darkplaces media includes anonymous antics captured on film.

cap n chris

there's loads more, Andy. For starters check out this thread.....
http://ukcaving.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1644

E

emgee

cap 'n chris said:
Why not get some of these?...

fun-wellies-L.jpg

Because you haven't told me where to buy them yet. Make an ideal solstice present for someone I know who has a nice pink rucksack she keeps just for caving. It's a perfectly sensible bag for the job and she enjoys how much it winds people up.

M

MSD

One of the most ghastly experiences I ever had was searching the canal in Birkwith during a rescue. I was in full diving gear groping along the bottom in zero visibility looking for a dead body.....and it seemed like every few metres I found an old welly, which I then had to gingerly feel to see whether it had a leg in or not!

There were quite a few in there, so losing a welly is obviously a regular occurance.

Mark