Anyone willing to take me & my teenage lads Caving in Derbyshire ?

I

Ian Thompson

I have three teenage sons aged 17, 15 & 14.

I am lapsed caver myself, did quite alot at Uni & my 20s including Gouffre Berger in France and alot of UK trips.
Now I'm getting older - big 5-0 last year - but still reasonably fit/active.  My lads are very interested to try caving out !

Sam has just done his Duke Edinburghs Gold and is super fit.
Lorin is doing his Duke Edinburghs Bronze and is very skinny.
Joel is keen on football, cricket & all sport and up for adventure. Very big & strong for his age.

It would be really nice to do a beginners trips with my sons - exciting but not too difficult so as not to put them off too much.
But I need some someone to guide us plus equipment loan .
Don't mind joining a club and a work colleague is a member of Eldon Pothole Club, which is an option.

Anyone out there who can help ?

Ian Thompson

ianball11

Sounds like you're family is too capable to go caving with me!

Just to get the thoughts rolling how about Devonshire Cavern?

Ian B.

Brains

Was the Berger in 93 with CCPC?
If so you were there with me!
We usually do a variety of trips to suit all tastes - what do you fancy doing to start with? Ralph still has stocks of gear to loan out as needed.
Brian

I

Ian Thompson

Brian ?!?

I did go down to the bottom of Berger with people from CCPC with someone called Brian, and my light went out half way down Hurricane Pot near the bottom.  Could have been 93, not sure it was around that time.

I remember a lot of fitter people doing all the rigging up but Brian and I were pretty pleased with ourselves just to get in and out without injuring ourselves or requiring the services of French rescue services.  Also remember philosophical discussions on the topic of "why the hell are we doing this", when going got tough but we carried on anyway out of bloody-minded attitude. 

Most probably "that" Brian could well have been you then !! .... Hi again !!!

Do you know someone who could guide me & the lads on a reasonably simple tourist trip this summer ?

Ian Thompson

Brains

Sounds like our excursion to the bottom!  ;)
Drinking beer in the village after was a treat, shame it was still 8 in the morning!

Yes, we could sort out a trip for you - pm some dates to me and we'll take it from there.
Veues like Devonshire, Masson, Wapping etc spring to mind initially, as does Jug Holes, P8 and Giants perhaps...

I

Ian Thompson

Brian,

How about starting with a day trip Sat 26 June and/or Sat 17th July ?

Ian
(direct reply to ian.d.thompson at astrazeneca [dot] c o m)

Brains

Finally met up for a trip with Ian, owing to dates and other committments we ended up in Wiltshire! Made plans for further explores elsewhere...

11749768a12606544580l.jpg

Getting ready to go in Jacks Entrance to Box

11749768a12606544657l.jpg

By a crane in the southern workings

11749768a12606544716l.jpg

Examining a tool bench

11749768a12606544977l.jpg

The newly locked door to Brewers Drift and the MoD sealed steel doors

11749768a12606545437l.jpg

The newly rebuilt beehive at B16 after the MoD surveyors demolished it...

11749768a12606545660l.jpg

Some of the stuff removed from the well in Cathedral - it has been cleared out to water level, about 20', so dont fall in!

11749768a12606545735l.jpg

Examining a very rusty mole trap

linuxfanatik

Hm. Ayup! You could start up a caving club - based on your past experience. There are a lot of pots in Derbyshire - some quite dangerously deep and muddy - you might need copious quantities of snorkels, air bottles and wet-suits, in some cases, as you cannot tell if its raining (up top) until it starts pouring on your head and giving you severe risk of drowning - you still wanna do it? You need an experienced expert in your area - and one who is trustworthy and got no hidden agenda's regarding your young sons. Take care! linuxfanatik

Brains

Had a trip round Giants with Ian and two of his lads. Rather slow as we had two other beginers with us as well but all went OK and fun was had by all.