Great Value SRT Kit

ianball11

?200 would have been almost 2 kits in my youth! I feel old now.

An hours inside tuition though, good idea!

Ian B.

Amy

Cheaper than a kit in the states, but erm, yeah I dunno what a "simple" is. I'm learning on a 4-bar rack w/ hyperbar. And our accender looks way different. Like this: (blue is right handed orange is left handed)
images

Mark

Couple of tape slings, couple of krabs, italian hitch and prussik knots cheap as chips

Pitlamp

Northern based readers might like to note that you can get set up for SRT in Ingleton for ?190 (ref. Descent 217 p.4).

Big Jim

Or just be loyal to your local caving gear shop and keep them in business and thus retain the ability to go in for chat about all the local caving gossip (y)

paul

Big Jim said:
Or just be loyal to your local caving gear shop and keep them in business and thus retain the ability to go in for chat about all the local caving gossip (y)

Use them or lose them!

paul

Amy said:
Cheaper than a kit in the states, but erm, yeah I dunno what a "simple" is. I'm learning on a 4-bar rack w/ hyperbar. And our accender looks way different. Like this: (blue is right handed orange is left handed)
images

If you mean the Petzl handled jammers, like the ones in your photos, Petzl have changed them recently. They are a different colour and the plastic on the handle is a different shape. Same thing otherwise. You'll probably see them in the States as well soon. There is also a non-handled version, as ther was with the older style.

The "Simple" is the Petzl bobbin-type descender similar to the "Stop" but without the autolock feature.

Amy

Mark said:
Couple of tape slings, couple of krabs, italian hitch and prussik knots cheap as chips
. . . French to me. Well, I know what a Prussik knot is. I really should re-learn how to tie one it's been about a month since I practised a few knots. I probably could still tie it if I had to might just take a few tries. Figure-8's were nice and easy. I like figure-8's.

And thanks for the explanation, Paul! Yeah I have seen the new style here but that's just the image I found which is basically the same as htey changed to, the ones in the kit in the OP seemed to not have the handle part so it seems harder to work!

I personally hope that I can find someone with a lefty setup. My right hand has a helluva time coordinating  the latchymechanismthingie to move the acender (erm "jammer") up the rope. My thumb doesn't wanna work that way. Sometimes my left hand is just way better. I'm kinda ambidextrous, some things are just easier one side than the other and  it's not always the same side.

Penguin

I have a leftie Petzl Ascension, which works great for lefties :) and comes in a nice sinister black colour...

Amy

Now if you wre only around here so I could try it. I want to see if my hypothesis is correct before I invest in gear!

cap n chris

Penguin said:
I have a leftie Petzl Ascension, which works great for lefties :) and comes in a nice sinister black colour...

Petzl colouring allows for black in left- or right-handed ascenders and is not specific to either version. Similarly you can (or could) purchase black Stops, Pantin, etc..

Amy

Big Jim said:
I would if we had them here :( afaik On Rope 1, Inner Mountain Outfitters, etc. are just online stores without a physical store front. :(I mean yeah they come to caving events and have tents to sell their stuff but as far as a physical store you can always go to...I'm unaware of.

Pitlamp

We are fortunate in having a significant number of very good caving gear purveyors in the UK, with proper shops. Phil Brown's "Caving Supplies" is certainly one of them - I have a lot to be grateful for as he's been very helpful to me on and off over the years.

Cavers will find Tony Seddon's "Starless River" outfit, with its mobile shop, to be very helpful.

I've yet to have the opportunity to visit Andy Sparrow's new shop but he's a caver with considerable experience and I'm sure he'll look after us.

Yes, we should definitely support our (physical) caving shops.

moorebooks

Pitlamp said:
We are fortunate in having a significant number of very good caving gear purveyors in the UK, with proper shops. Phil Brown's "Caving Supplies" is certainly one of them - I have a lot to be grateful for as he's been very helpful to me on and off over the years.

Cavers will find Tony Seddon's "Starless River" outfit, with its mobile shop, to be very helpful.

I've yet to have the opportunity to visit Andy Sparrow's new shop but he's a caver with considerable experience and I'm sure he'll look after us.

Yes, we should definitely support our (physical) caving shops.

I agree with all you say re Phil etc however the caving / mining fraternity would not cover the cost of running a bookshop hence mine remains virtual although visitors can arrange to call in

Mike

playoutside

owd git said:
Pitlamp said:
For Big Jim and Paul - my point precisely.
Well I'll give a shout for Phil @ caving supplies Buxton. (y)
A mine of information.
O. G.

I'll second that O.G.  (y)  Phil at caving supplies Buxton sorted me out with some really good priced gear and excellent advice, we off to see him again next weekend :D