great art work.

the assury but the shiver down me spine though

C

Clive G

An intriguing film short . . .

but a very spooky place    :eek:

pariscatacombs001ie.jpg

moorebooks

How easy is this to access, particularly someone like me who was given 5% for luck in my last French exam (so much for a grammar school education and motivation)

How did you go about organising with kit etc?

mike

Les W

Hi Mike.
Access is relatively easy once you know where  :sneaky:
There are maps available of the GSN (Great Southern Network) which are very accurate and make navigation easy.
There is no need to speak french at all except in the bar ("deux pression s'il vous pla?t")

It is actually illegal to explore the catacombes, however nobody seems to care, there are always quite a lot of people down there at weekends with parties and stuff happening in various rooms.
You do run the risk of being caught and fined but this has only happened on one occasion to UK cavers that I am aware of. They managed to escaped a fine by pretending to not understanding french, then promptly went straight back underground  ;)

Kit is just old clothes and overalls, phone me up if you are serious and I will give you lots more info.

darren

I've only been the once but I met three kinds of people underground in the cats.

French cave'ists - caterphiles
British cave'ists- tourists
Grans, daughters and granddaughters. All in pink wellies taking a Sunday morning stroll

There are rumors of police underground, but providing you use the correct rituals; running from people walking their dogs and sitting silently in a darkened passage for 15 minutes praying to the gods of the underworld, you don't meet these appertains

The biggest problem is trying to see everything in one visit thus leaving you aching and blistered. Better to see 80% and enjoy every minute.

Jams

Looks amazing, think i may have to get some people together and have a weekend in Paris.

...and some info off you guys.

Joe Duxbury

When my wife & I went to Paris in November, the Catacombs (the ossuary, the part open to tourists) was closed 'due to vandalism'. There is very little information I can find on the official websites as to what had happened. Can any of you with caterphile contacts in Paris tell me, and when they will be reopened?

J

Jon_M

Excellent video ... made me realise that I need to organise a visit there too! ;)

bubba

Administrator
The place looks fascinating, would love to visit one day.

"Teardrop" works really well as the soundtrack too  (y)

burrencrawler

My God, I would love to go there, it has a kind of a Dan Brown (without the puke factor) feel to it. Would love to go. How many entrances/exits has it got? and what are the chances of getting lost?