Ghar Parau, Iran

thesiger

An iranian friend has done this cave. She claims that is a pretty big deal. Anyone have any context? Should I be impressed?

graham

To quote Mr Oldham

"There is a book."

md868938871.jpg

rhychydwr1

graham said:
To quote Mr Oldham

"There is a book."

md868938871.jpg

Graham, you beat me too it  :cry:

Can supply:

GHAR PARAU by D Judson 1973  216 pp 52 photos. HB DW  A British Expedition to a deep pothole in the Kuh-e-Parau massif of Iranian Kurdistan.  ?15.00 post free in the UK

thesiger

graham said:
To quote Mr Oldham
"There is a book."
md868938871.jpg
Yup ... that I know (astonishingly I googled before asking). Would obtaining it answer my question? I am guessing: not.

Joel Corrigan

My memory is appalling but I have a recollection that Ghar Parau has become quite a popular venue for Iranian cavers in the last few years?  I also have a vague idea that there have been a few accidents down there?  When I was caving in NZ I heard of an Iranian caver who was living/working out there who refused to wear a helmet whilst underground because he was too macho!  He was part of an Iranian club that changed activity annually.  For example, one year they'd be cavers, the next year they'd be paddlers, after that they'd be into skiing etc...  I have no idea how many caving clubs there are in Iran but it's quite likely that there may not be much of a breadth of experience there, in which case a trip down Ghar Parau would be a big deal.  But I also imagine that for an experienced alpine caver it would be a bit of a jolly!  I guess it's all down to perspective, background, equipment & techniques. 

I'd say that Simon Brookes may be the chap to answer this thread as he's pretty active in this part of the world.  Few of the original Ghar Parau explorers from the seventies would be able to remember that far back, surely?!   

thesiger

Thanks Joel.

I am a climber so my knowledge of caving is obviously sketchy. What I do know is that Iran is the only country in the Middle East where outdoor sports are really popular with locals, rather than just expats. There are climbers operating at a high level so it's a reasonable inference that there are good cavers too.

Googling Ghar Parau seems to suggest it was one of the world's deepest caves ... not any more I assume?

My friend said the cave still hadn't been done many times, not least because there have been some deaths (from hypothermia I think).

graham

thesiger said:
Thanks Joel.

I am a climber so my knowledge of caving is obviously sketchy. What I do know is that Iran is the only country in the Middle East where outdoor sports are really popular with locals, rather than just expats. There are climbers operating at a high level so it's a reasonable inference that there are good cavers too.

Googling Ghar Parau seems to suggest it was one of the world's deepest caves ... not any more I assume?

My friend said the cave still hadn't been done many times, not least because there have been some deaths (from hypothermia I think).

thesiger

Ghar Parau was once considered as a possibility for a depth record. The first expedition reached -750 m quite quickly at a time when the record was about -1100 m. However, the second expedition only managed to get down one more short pitch and the cave then stopped, effectively. I don't think it has been pushed any deeper since.

Simon Brooks gives a decent potted history here.

SamT

thesiger said:
An iranian friend has done this cave. She claims that is a pretty big deal. Anyone have any context? Should I be impressed?

Finally we are getting some decent posts on this topic.

The short answer is "Yes I'd say it was a relatively big deal" though that is dependant on the experience and ability of the participant. She is obviously please with herself about it.

Simon Brooks had the rare opportunity (political relations etc) to visit the cave a few years back. I seem to recall him saying that it was quite an undertaking and actually a relatively arduous trip. a cold wet miserable type trip.  So fair play to her.

oli

thesiger said:
What I do know is that Iran is the only country in the Middle East where outdoor sports are really popular with locals, rather than just expats.

Dont forget Lebanon and Israel.

thesiger

oli said:
thesiger said:
What I do know is that Iran is the only country in the Middle East where outdoor sports are really popular with locals, rather than just expats.
Yes that flashed through my head when I typed the original sentence. I can only pronounce at all authoritatively on climbing:
- Lebanon, yes, locals climb and develop local cliffs
- Israel, yes, locals climb, but there is not much local rock thus staying active requires periodic invasions of Jordan and other neighbours (their national sport ...)

Of course, whether either of those Levant states really count as countries is a moot point. Both are very small ... like, say: Wales. And both are recent creations of bad 20th decision making by (mostly) France, US and the UK. Whilst Iran has been around for millennia.

Les W

thesiger said:
Of course, whether either of those Levant states really count as countries is a moot point. Both are very small ... like, say: Wales. And both are recent creations of bad 20th decision making by (mostly) France, US and the UK. Whilst Iran has been around for millennia.

You forgot Belgium.  ;)

graham

Les W said:
thesiger said:

You forgot Belgium.  ;)

Belgium was a nineteenth century creation.  :sneaky:

Les W

graham said:
Les W said:
thesiger said:

You forgot Belgium.  ;)

Belgium was a nineteenth century creation.  :sneaky:

Ticks most of the other boxes though.  ;)

oli

thesiger said:
oli said:
thesiger said:
Yes that flashed through my head when I typed the original sentence. I can only pronounce at all authoritatively on climbing:
- Lebanon, yes, locals climb and develop local cliffs
- Israel, yes, locals climb, but there is not much local rock thus staying active requires periodic invasions of Jordan and other neighbours (their national sport ...)

Wales maybe small but its 100% sweet and a reall country.
rant rant independece from westminster rant systamatic dedevelopment rant moterway rant. rant. rant.
take your point about Israel and Lebanon though, and of course many would have you belive that the formers not middle eastern either ;)

I think I remember hearis some where that the Lebanese set up the worlds 3rd cave rescue organisation? could some one conferm or denay this?