Caving based from South Lanarkshire

mrdetail

I'm on holiday in a few weeks time, staying in cottage in South Lanarkshire. I'm was hoping to get a bit of time underground with couple of friends whilst in the area. Unfortunatly we can't get the time to get up to the main caving area in the N.Scotland.

So the question is are there any suitable cave/underground venues fairly close from S.Lanarkshire? I'm aware of the Lead Mining region nearby if any of the mines are accessible?

tamarmole

Might be worth posting on Aditnow, there are some Scottish lads on there.

As far as I know (and I am based in Cornwall) the Wanlockhead /Leadhills area is a no goer as the local estate is very anti and the keepers very assiduous.

The Grampian SG produced a publication on Scottish mines /exploration few years back (2008?)

mrdetail

Ta! I'll give that try :) Gasswater Baryte mine looking the most likely at the mo - picked up from a thread on there.

RobinGriffiths

tamarmole said:
Might be worth posting on Aditnow, there are some Scottish lads on there.

As far as I know (and I am based in Cornwall) the Wanlockhead /Leadhills area is a no goer as the local estate is very anti and the keepers very assiduous.

The Grampian SG produced a publication on Scottish mines /exploration few years back (2008?)

Not wishing to revive a CROW debate, but can you not go anywhere on the surface in Scotland if x metres from a dwelling and land not growing stuff. Granted, this is not useful if you plan to go underground. However, what would the ramifications be if England/Wales Crow officially interpreted as allowing underground access?