Old A2 DistoX not turning on

Rob

My A2 distoX has stopped turning on. Totally bricked. I've taken it apart and nothing seems obviously unplugged or damaged.

Does anyone in the know have any ideas, or are happy to take a look at it?

AR

I'd be inclined to see whether either the switch or the battery is knackered as a first port of call?

Rob

I agree. Unfortunately the switch is built into the front facia, so it looks like it'll be a destructive job to test. Also on the A2 the batteries are AAAs not Li-ion and i've tried with other batteries, so not that...

AR

Rob said:
I agree. Unfortunately the switch is built into the front facia, so it looks like it'll be a destructive job to test. Also on the A2 the batteries are AAAs not Li-ion and i've tried with other batteries, so not that...
[/quote

Can you not get at the switch terminals with the probes of a multimeter? If so, you could check for the change of resistance in turning on and off.

Rob

Moose said:
Please tell me that's not mine?
LOL, no. I'm borrowing your cos mine is broke....

AR said:
Can you not get at the switch terminals with the probes of a multimeter? If so, you could check for the change of resistance in turning on and off.
Not without scalpeling open the facia, which i'll do if no better suggestions come in

Boy Engineer

I don?t know if the internals at anything like the Classic 5, but I?ve just had a similar problem. In my case (no pun intended), the issue was a break in the ribbon cable from the membrane keypad to the main board. The cable is one complete piece with the switches underneath the rubbery bit, if that makes sense. It doesn?t lend itself to being repaired. To salvage the main function of mine (distance only), I?ve soldered leads into the ribbon cable socket (tiny) and just have two push to make switches to turn on and measure, respectively. You can work out the pinouts once you peel the rubber keys off. No idea if this is your issue, but putting it out for anyone else who needs the info. Saves buying an Aldi version for about ?20. 😂

Rob

Turns out is was due to the ribbon cable, not because it was damaged, but because it doesn't really go in or stay into the socket in the Disto well enough. It' like it's 5mm too short. Once i've fiddled it into the socket sufficiently and pulled down the side clips it's already slipped a couple mm out. Then when inserting the whole unit back into the case it pulls out further. 1 in 5 times it works ok, and then only until it gets knocked or shaken.

Anyone any suggestions, other than Boy Engineer's drastic replacement of the buttons altogether....?