Good headlamps for around ?80.

Bradleya115

Hello

I'm new to caving in the Devon area. I'm looking for a good headlamp for around ?80. I am thinking about getting the 'Petzl PIXA 3' but I would like more than 100 lumens.

Any advice or recommendations would be welcomed. 

markpot

For your budget i would stretch an extra ?15 and go for a fellows lynx x basic http://www.ledcaplamps.com/X_basic.htm .

Fulk

I have a PIXA 3 but would not recommend it for caving as it is not bright enough (in my opinion); also it only lasts ~3 hours on the brightest setting. I'm very happy with my Fenix HP25R (?79?95p).

CavingPig

I also really rate Fenix lights - I got the old version of the HP25 five years ago and it's survived the works, from expeditions to free dives, tight potholing and digging. Plenty of lumens and decent battery life. Quite a few in my club have the Fenix HL55, which is brighter than my one. They also do little torches that are great as a backup. You can get them from Starless River and Inglesport, among other places :)

benshannon

I second the Fenix. I have just bought the HL55 after borrowing a club mates one. super bright, good flood and distance. compact and hardy for caving. I think ill get another as a back up. I might get the HL60 as that has USB charging as well

nickwilliams

I'm also a big fan of the Fenix HL55 - I've got three of them: one on my caving helmet and two I use in my workshop.

One of these is a very good way to attach it to a caving helmet:

http://inglesport.com/products/petzl-rubber-headband-for-pixa-headlamp

ogofmole

My Fenix HL50 is great as a caving lamp, all metal construction, waterproof and small. This is my back up light, but others have used it for a caving trip.

Peregrina

Another for the HL55. The only thing that ever annoys me using it is the lack of spot.

The Petzl rubber headband that Nick linked is good too, otherwise the light shakes about a bit, although my band snapped when I was rough with it.

PeteHall

I've always worried about how the Fenix lights would hold up in a cave environment. They don't look tough and I've never bothered to spend the money and find out...

Judging by all the posts above, it looks like I need to give them a try.  (y)

Keris82

I have a Fenix HL55. It's really bright but so spend some money on good batteries. I bought some cheap 18650s and they last about 3 hours on max brightness (not burst mode). I also have a petzl for backup which is about 350 lumens. It's ok but not nearly as bright as the fenix

HeathJ

Roy Fellows' Lynx X basic is good value if you can stretch another ?15 or so - especially if you want something that's a little out of the ordinary.

Alternatively as mentioned a million times, the HL55 is bulletproof, cheap(ish), easily bright enough, and has the advantage of easily changed (and carried) batteries if you start going on rather long trips

AlexSheppard

I use a Fenix HL60R (close cousin to the HL55 but with a built in micro USB port for charging the battery) and its a reassuringly tough-feeling chunk of metal that's nice and bright and has never let me down, even when I've accidentally let some moisture in past the o-ring when doing a mid-cave battery change. Would definitely recommend it!

Simon Beck

For the money Fenix are the dogs....!

I've had the same two HP12's on my helmet for over a year with no issues whatsoever! Wouldn't waste good money on anything else for caving. Also had two HL55's for several years that are used as spares with no issues either, also used them for diving on occasions, shallow stuff etc... Personally I wouldn't choose the HL60R with the usb port for what I do though, or for caving, always seemed a weak spot.

I also find the rear battery mounted HP12 is better suited, balanced weight wise, for use on a helmet.

JasonC

At the risk of striking a discordant note, I bought a little HL15 as an emergency back-up and, while it's certainly light (in weight) it's not that brilliant (in light).  But its most annoying habit is dying suddenly when the batteries (3 x AAA) go - one minute it seems fine, the next it's completely dead.
I'd hope that the Li-Ion powered ones don't have this fault - no doubt Fenix fans will confirm?

Simon Beck

JasonC said:
At the risk of striking a discordant note, I bought a little HL15 as an emergency back-up and, while it's certainly light (in weight) it's not that brilliant (in light).  But its most annoying habit is dying suddenly when the batteries (3 x AAA) go - one minute it seems fine, the next it's completely dead.
I'd hope that the Li-Ion powered ones don't have this fault - no doubt Fenix fans will confirm?

No such issues, myself, using the Fenix 18650 batteries. This has happened though using cheap x-brand versions of the same type battery.

markpot

As all of the above,i am to a fenix fan,i own 4.i mentioned roys lamps as they are superb main lamps,well constructed and will take a good beating and are really user freindly. Uk built and his customer service is second to none.As above for the pixa 3,dont bother unless you want an indestructable back up.

markpot

Another option if you are a bit handy would be a diy oldham/speleo technics heatset conversion.Check out the custom duo site for the pitlamp modules.Old duo/zoom battery box,runnindg a 3aa/4aa battery set up.I have built two of these and they are still going strong after 5 years.All in should be well under ?80.