Scaffolding placement

Reeve

We're currently using scaffolding and shuttering to move (crawl) through an area of breakdown and infill. Whilst discussing how to progress the question was asked,  is it better to continue tying in the new scaffolding to the existing scaffolding and one solid wall or should a new cage be created that just buts up or over laps the existing one.
The current shuttered cage is approx 15' long with shuttering and is tied into a wall periodically but also to itself. So is one method safer / stronger?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
It is difficult to say without seeing the dig up close.  Normally I would say that tying scaffold to existing is the better option.  It is sure to be stronger and better braced.  We always try to keep scaffold square whenever possible using doubles if we can get them on and minimising the use of swivels other than for intentional braces.  I expect either way will get you through.  Good luck

Pitlamp

I agree with Badlad in everything he says above (including the point about seeing the job before being sure of the best approach).

All I would add is that, if there are concerns about strength, put plenty of diagonals in as well (to create triangles and then sub-triangles - as this is the strongest shape). Also, pack any boulders on the scaff or scaff right up to them, so they can't move; preventing anything big gaining momentum is key to everything staying in place. But you probably already know that anyway.

The Old Ruminator

Yes difficult to say. I would think both methods are OK. We have used 100m plus scaffolding in Vurley. Many on Mendip dont like it and would prefer to build dry stone walls like Willie Stanton. You will see very little scaffolding in Reservoir Hole. For us older folk time rarely permits that. Another question you might ask is it steel poles or the aluminium type. Strength against longevity ? I used many aluminium poles as propping struts for steel cages in Vurley as the load on them is not lateral. I also used foot plates that can adjust to fit the poles onto pins both end. Acros were also useful. ( all discussed here elsewhere ). Mesh was used to make gabion cages as well. I think the main issue is longevity. Something not thought about in the haste of digging. We removed some old steel scaffolding from another Mendip site but it was too rusty to re use. Having been digging caves on and off for 55 years I am now seeing long term issues that should have been addressed in the first place. I have been dry stone walling the lower part of the Vurley entrance shaft. I initially used concrete set inside a large mold but it looked horrible.

Minimal scaffolding support in Vurley.

P3200116 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Complex arrangements of all sorts below The Egg Timer choke.

P7170023 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Single acro support.

P8140010 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Poles and mesh support.

The Egg Timer. Vurley by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Aluminium poles in use .

Vurley by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Peter Glanvill. Vurley by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Braced acros.

Vurley by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Above choke before scaffolding.

Choke with stream below about 70m down in Vurley. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Semi gabions.

Stacking rocks in The Egg Timer at Vurley by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

PB140006 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

The Egg Timer with Martin Grass by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

The Egg Timer, Vurley by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Pinned poles for stacking wall.

Wall building in La La Land by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

The Great Wall. Vurley by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Combination walling and cement work. The scaffolding being the short term answer.

Walling and scaffolding. Vurley. Upright , left, is temporary. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Ultimately non scaffolding support looks best.

Damocles pillared. Vurley. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

On site cutting speeds things up. We ran a generator to 70 m depth and also used a battery angle grinder.

P7050072 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

P6140026 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

The Old Ruminator

I suppose another issue re longevity is how long you are " responsible " for the up keep with scaffolding, boards etc. That's why its better to over do things initially. I now wish that we had used plastic type scaffold board instead of wood on our platforms as it will need replacing eventually. Its not horribly expensive.

I now realise that Bast@rd Post Image destroyed the thread re most of this when they changed the image code. Ahh the perils of third part hosting.

The Old Ruminator

Building the frame.

P6060128 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

P6060084 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Battery angle grinder and scaffold store.

La La Land scaffolding workshop. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

TFD platform.

Reservoir Hole by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Reservoir Hole by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

More complexity. Note the triangles.

Pete Rose in Vurley. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Trevor Knief in Vurley. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Depot.

P6140123 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Acro and subsequent walling.

P6070047 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

P5310038 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

P5310024 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Cemented arch.

Cemented arch and wall Vurley. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Acro on galvanised pin.

Vurley second prop due for cementing in. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Combination.

Engineering. Vurley by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Single pinned and cemented support.

Safer now ? by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

I am sure it's safe now. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

The TFD platform is to divert the ladder away from a huge boulder in the wall.

Reservoir platform with selfie stick. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Temporary shuttering in The Silo. Now removed.

Reservoir 139 Silo by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Shoring in the Silo by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Silo Scaffolding with Dave King. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Pinned vertical support.

Topless. Going under the big one April 2012. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Topless dig April 2012 2 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Topless dig May 2012 5 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Getting harder 33m in.

Topless dig - holding the roof up an impending disillusionment. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Ascension platform to divert the ladder away from lose scree.

ASCENSION by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Reservoir. Ascension 6 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Reservoir. Ascension 3 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Ascension 337 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Semi gabion at Skyfall.

Reservoir 134. Skyfall spoil tips. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Mass pole support at Fernhill.

Fernhill 238 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

I have whacked on a load of photos as Post Image wrecked my other thread.

The Old Ruminator

Ultimately scaffolding should be seen as a short term measure . I doubt it will last 50 years. Stanton used a cement slurry which he poured into boulder chokes. Look out for those in Reservoir Hole as they look quite naturalistic now. Failing that he used railway lines or railway sleepers which should last over 100 years. Today we have new materials so its worth doing some research. It may be a balance about short term safety, longevity and aesthetics. I used this concrete former at Vurley and poured liquid concrete behind it then removed the mold later. It looked horrid but was an adequate very long term term support. Its all faced off with dry stone walling now.

Concrete former Vurley. by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Reeve

Thanks for the comments, I think we'll carry on as I've been doing tying in the new scaffolding to the old ones. Ruminator many thanks for the images.