Welsh Cave Anagrams

mudman

wl

We (Brynmawr Caving Club) had one of our regular Zoom meetings tonight and I was down for the quiz.
One of the rounds I came up with was an anagrams round. Sixteen Welsh cave names in anagram form. I won't say what the highest score was but I thought it might be fun to post it here and see if anyone can get the full sixteen:

[list type=decimal]
[*]angle waddle
[*]fog noddy nun off
[*]fecal goop
[*]Ade vaccinator
[*]agony croon faffing
[*]angry food
[*]Gwen safely
[*]add brown grimly
[*]Edna forgone
[*]equally pantry roll
[*]cow fly go nog
[*]ethel torso
[*]hello me
[*]heir tentacle trivalve
[*]badger vice
[/list]

I'll post answers when I remember to look in and see how everyone is doing.

PeteHall

Well I've spotted 3 of them so far, but I think I'll have to start writing them down to get any more!

I  like the way that 14 and 15 are next to each other in the quiz, is that a subtle clue or a coincidence?

mudman

Well current best score so far is 9. Sorry maxb727, your winning score from last night has been trumped (bonus anagram not included).  ;)

Inferus

Ahh, I like a bit of morning brain work.. think I've got 10 so far. At the moment I've not worked out 4, 7, 8, 12, 13.. :-\

PeteHall

Up to 11 and I think I'm all out of ideas for the rest. Missing 4, 8, 10, 12  :confused:

edit: make that 12, I've just spotted 12  :)

edit edit: I've now got 8 as well. Just 4 and 10 to go...

PeteHall

Spotted 10, when I thought about the "qu" which can't be many things  ;)

No. 4 is really bugging me though.

It's clearly " XXXXXXXXX CAVE "

which leaves:
                    D    T
                R            A
              O             
                I            A
                    C    N

but I can't make anything sensible out of that...  :-\

edit: additional "T" removed. Thanks Trogger

PeteHall

Got it!  ;)

I will confess to receiving a few subtle tips, which in the interest of fairness I'll share below:

I've put it in very small text, for those who don't want to see a tip yet, but if you press quote, you'll see it big enough to read  ;)

mudman said:
I guess it won't hurt for a bit of a clue...

I suppose 4 and 8 might be a bit BCC related, 4 is currently closed and 8 is somewhere I remember many hours hauling tub-loads of mud from.
10 is a bit of a collector's piece around here but is a well-known cave.
We did have some argument as to whether or not 12 is in Wales but it is listed in the CC registry.

From maxb, relating to no.4: think of something mining related

mudman

Well done Pete.
No prizes unfortunately, but if we ever bump into each other in a pub (won't be a Welsh one  :cry: ), I'll buy you a beer.  :beer:

I won't put the answers up yet. If anyone wants to know how they're doing you can drop me a PM. Otherwise I'll put the answers up at the weekend.

JoshW

Think I've got 5/15 (possible a sixth but for number 12 I ended up with a spare s  o_O)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
mudman said:
Well done Pete.
No prizes unfortunately, but if we ever bump into each other in a pub (won't be a Welsh one  :cry: ), I'll buy you a beer.  :beer:

I won't put the answers up yet. If anyone wants to know how they're doing you can drop me a PM. Otherwise I'll put the answers up at the weekend.

I'll buy you a pint mudman for posting this quiz  ;) :beer:

mudman

PeteHall said:
JoshW said:
Think I've got 5/15 (possible a sixth but for number 12 I ended up with a spare s  o_O)

I think you'll find it is plural, so the "s" is used  :)

The usual name is singular but I seem to have used a plural form that Cambrian Cave Register speed on its search page.
It was on purpose, honest.  :ang: