Sawmill Cave Portland

Ed W

The latest information I have on this cave is that it became inaccessible in early 1970. If anyone has any other info on this cave, or any of the others in the now active Inmothsay quarries could they contact me via PM please?

Cheers,

Ed

tim.rose2

Hi Ed,

I'm sure exactly where Sawmill used to be, however devils silt & devils hole (which I believe were near a dig to regain sawmill) no longer exist.  About 12 years ago (+/- a bit) I found the entrances but never got round to going back to look at them.  Approx. 5 years ago I eventually did 'go back to them' and found the face of rock they used to be in had been replaced by a large hole.  If Sawmill was somewhere underneath these, then its long gone.  There was a phase a few years ago of bits of Portland stal getting sold on ebay by quarry men - maybe this was linked with 're-entering' sawmill?

Tim

Ed W

Yup Devils Hole, Devils Slit and Engineer's Hole have all gone with the extension of the Inmothsay quarry into Fancy's Beach.  As to has the dig that we started about 20 years ago to regain Sawmill Cave.  This was a fair distance (100m-ish) from the other caves, and given the uncertainty in the precise location of the original Sawmill entrances that some of the cave may still exist.  If not then there may be some mileage in trying to establish where the passage went beyond the known cave...