Aygill Caverns Survey?

Is there a good survey of Aygill Caverns anywhere?

My search so far has unearthed several disjointed fragments, but nothing that is even close to being comprehensive. Here's what I've got so far:

1. NSG 1966/1969 Grade 5 Loose Survey
2. RRCPC Journal 5 - Red Rose Series (1970)
3. ULSA Journal 89 - Precambrian Series (1971)
4. Northern Caves Vol 3 (1994) - Very small scale outline
5. English Nature SSSI - Small Scale outline (see www.northerncavemonitoring.org.uk)

No. 1 is well out of date.
No. 2 has the north arrow the wrong way round, but once you realise that, it does join on
No. 3 doesn't join onto the NSG survey, there's a gap of 200ft
No. 4 is almost useless
No. 5 joins up the three main pieces, but the shape of the Red Rose Series in particular doesn't match the RRCPC survey, which might indicate that it is just an inaccurate sketch

I seem to remember that there was a framed survey on the wall of Bull Pot Farm at one time, what was that?
I also seem to remember seeing a centreline in Survex as part of the Ease Gill resurvey project, how much of the system did that cover?

Beardy

Hi Andy

This is work in progress - H.SL is doing this

Only two outstanding bits to be done - I think 

Firstly the passage from the sump pool to the large bit of the precambrian series has never been surveyed (see the ulsa survey for cunning arrow) and we can't find any skinnies up for the job as we don't fit......any takers? (note it is ridiculously small)

Secondly - we need to resurvey the red rose series at some point ....

Really unsure as to when the above will be done, a few other jobs are currently higher up the priority list...

regards
Beardy 

Alex

Been done yet? I was planning on visiting this gem soon, last time I could not find the way on.

Beardy

Pretty sure that its not finished, or published yet

However since the last discussion here

You should find the description in the new Northern Caves  a bit more helpful

http://www.northerncaves.co.uk/

Regards
Beardy

Alex

Found my way... yay! At the bottom of the cascades, enter a tube just before it starts to get wet, with a obstruction at the start, you then have to do a 360 degree loop (just keep turning left) whilst dropping into a lower passage . I found following the hurricane is great way to find the way on after getting part way around the loop. If you see some plastic flapping the breeze you have successfully found the way on.

Two places to explore beyond there, the first being the old dig after curtain chamber, or follow the water entering at the bottom and enter some really nice and well decorated stream passage, leading eventually to a very small dig at the end of the stream.