The hardest cave in the U.K.

A

andymorgan

Following on from the Yorkshire 'Mecca' thread. How about another controversial thread on the hardest cave or trip in the U.K.
Daren Cilau, Quaking Pot, the bitter end of Eastwater, out via Titan?

I also suppose it means by what is difficult: pitches, squeezes, sump diving, distance form entrance.  A thin person would find a tight cave easier than a bigger person of course!

Stupot

andymorgan said:
I also suppose it means by what is difficult: pitches, squeezes, sump diving, distance form entrance. 

I would of thought that the hardest trip would incorporate all of these i.e The Swildon's Grand Tour  ;)

Stu.

Stupot

True, but It does have some pitches along with 5 sumps (in which you dive 9 times in total) multiple squeezes, loads of ducks, endless arduous crawls, difficult climbs, 4 ladder pitches (climbing up), 2 hours of bailing in cramped conditions, temperatures running from very cold to extremely hot, sections of 2ft deep liquid mud that fills your wetsuit, 6 syphons to start - couple this with carrying kit and regularly changing from SRT to diving kit, it's fairly hard :blink:

But then if you are just descending a pitch it could be 1000ft deep and be relatively easy, coming up is a different matter.

The gradient is also an important factor to bear in mind.

Stu.

Andy Sparrow

Stupot said:
andymorgan said:
I also suppose it means by what is difficult: pitches, squeezes, sump diving, distance form entrance. 

I would of thought that the hardest trip would incorporate all of these i.e The Swildon's Grand Tour  ;)

Stu.

I don't think complex contrived trips are eligible otherwise you'll get into speculative discussions of routes that include most of OFD or Draenen. 

Stupot

Andy Sparrow said:
Stupot said:
andymorgan said:

Personally I think the question should be what is the most demanding both pysically and mentally rather than "hardest".

Stu.

I don't think complex contrived trips are eligible otherwise you'll get into speculative discussions of routes that include most of OFD or Draenen.   

Ok then if complex contrived trip are out then we need to define "Hard", hard is maybe completing Avelines Hole
with no arms or legs !

Or Wookey 24 and back with 2x 3's or even getting rice with your chillie from Roger (bloody hard).

Personally I think the question should be what is the most demanding both pysically and mentally rather than "hardest".

Stu.

I have not done it, nor am I likely to but I believe that Langcliffe Pot to the bitter end is probably the hardest trip in Britain. It is a long way and the psychological barrier that the Nemesis Choke presents must be awful. I know two people who did it and said it was amazing - they overnighted down there due to the length of the trip.

On a similar note, Mossdale must rank as one of the hardest trips in Britain, certainly from a psychological point of view.

Dan.

T

Tree Monkey

How about down to the present end of Upperflood and back! :eek: :tease: (y)

Stupot

Tree Monkey said:
How about down to the present end of Upperflood and back! :eek: :tease: (y)

Or Upperflood to Timber Hole (Damn said to much already)  :spank:

Forget that......... What's everyone having for tea ?

Stu.

AndyF

The far end of Ogof Hesp Alyn

only a handful of people have even ben there.....IFAIK

Anyone here done it to the end?

T

twllddu

AndyF said:
The far end of Ogof Hesp Alyn

only a handful of people have even ben there.....IFAIK

Anyone here done it to the end?

I wouldn't say it's the hardest, it's just a long (muddy!) way.

Simon Beck

I'd agree with Dan with regards Langcliffe pot (although i haven't been all the way to the bottom myself yet) ........'friday the thirteenth/living dead extensions in Penyghent pot also.........personally i wouldn't say Mossdale caverns is anywhere close to been the hardest, i've certainly done harder, it possibly ranks among the most dangerous, it's reputation is certainly overrated!........and from personal experience mainly from those who've never even been there.

Rhys

andymorgan said:
Following on from the Yorkshire 'Mecca' thread. How about another controversial thread on the hardest cave or trip in the U.K.
Daren Cilau, Quaking Pot, the bitter end of Eastwater, out via Titan?

I also suppose it means by what is difficult: pitches, squeezes, sump diving, distance form entrance.  A thin person would find a tight cave easier than a bigger person of course!
GB  surely? That's why there's no novices allowed innit.

Rhys

Slug

There's that one in Kent, An easy entrance series, leading into 3 large size tubular passages, with great depth potential, though with a risk of flooding, ............................and with the danger of being hit by a train :LOL: