Wiki upgraded

bubba

Administrator
To the latest version.

I've set up a similar wiki on ukbouldering.com, the main difference being that the forum/wiki logins are integrated.

I suspect that having integrated logins would be a better way to go but I'm wondering whether it would cause problems with the changes made by existing wiki users. Anyone got any idea about this?

Rhys

Hi Bubba

I'm getting error messages. The normal pages seem fine, but history, edit tabs etc cause a problem and give a message like:

"A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:
(SQL query hidden)
from within function "ChangeTags::listDefinedTags". MySQL returned error "1146: Table 'ukcWiki.ukc_valid_tag' doesn't exist (localhost)". "

Rhys

bubba

Administrator
Ok, I'm on it now - looks like the database upgrades haven't been carried out correctly.

Rhys

Tidy, like :)

On the issue of log ins. I think having an integrated system for the wiki and forum would be a good thing; we'd know that an edit had been done by a particular forum user, whereas at present we've just asked people to register on the wiki with the same name and there's no way of checking! Not having to register twice might also encourage more forum users to contribute (but then again it might not!).

As for the problems it might cause enforcing a new log in system on an existing wiki, I don't know. I'm afraid I'm quite ignorant of the inner workings of the software and only really know about editing/moderating content.

Rhys

graham

I have so many log-ins for so many different sites that it becomes a bloody nuisance. if the wiki log in were to be integrated with the main forum one, I'd be far more likely to contribute.

khakipuce

graham said:
I have so many log-ins for so many different sites that it becomes a bloody nuisance. if the wiki log in were to be integrated with the main forum one, I'd be far more likely to contribute.

Personally I have a few that I use on many sites, which works pretty well, I can generally access sites that I haven't used for many years. I'm genuinely curious as to why you would use a different one for the caving wiki than for the caving forum (excluding the obvious malicious posting from multiple IDs)?

Just a word of warning though, make sure that you use unique and secure IDs/Passwords for critical sites like on-line banking.

bubba

Administrator
I've not looked at openid/mediawiki tbh although the forum now allows openid signup. I don't think it'd be practical to have openid + forum integration, it's either or.

bubba

Administrator
Actually thinking about this - If you sign up to the forum using OpenID then there's no reason why you wouldn't then be able to use the same forum username/password to access the wiki when the logins are integrated.

In fact, I'm going to have a quick test of the integration now so don't be surprised if the wiki goes weird for the next hour or so.

I need to set up a proper test environment again to do this shit, shouldn't really be doing it live. I did have this set up but the PC it was on went tits-up.

SamT

[very minor niggle]

the 4 new tabs across the top - Home Forum Wiki Contact.

When you nav to the Wiki, if you want to navigate back to the forum - there only seems to be a small area at the bottom of the tab that activates the link when you hover. Bit hard to describe ... does that make sense.

The tabs work fine if you are in Home, Forums or Contact. Its just when you are in the wiki.

[/minor niggle]

bubba

Administrator
Yeah, i've had a bit of a nightmare with that - it seems to work better in IE than in Firefox but it's because the default theme for the wiki uses a load of CSS absolute positioning which makes it really hard to include anything else into the theme.

I've thought about making another theme the default and modifying that instead, let's face it the default theme is a bit drab.

I actually use the "Cavendish" theme which is the default one for the ukb wiki and looks much better tbh.

Roger W

Just had a go - can get back to the forum from the wiki no problem, though I can find a small area round the edge of the tab that seems to be 'dead'.

Let's face it - if I'd tried to do the progamming, nuthin would work!

Excellent work, Bubba    :bow:

footleg

I see the same as Sam described (using Firefox 3.5).

More seriously, the home page seems to be missing it's style sheet altogether. I just see everything in plain text on a white background.

bubba

Administrator
footleg said:
More seriously, the home page seems to be missing it's style sheet altogether. I just see everything in plain text on a white background.
Not sure about that one - I'll double check after i've had some kip, just got back from work!

bubba

Administrator
footleg said:

Looking at this, I don't think there's a problem here - try a CTRL + F5 and/or clean your browser cache and it should go away.

footleg

bubba said:
Looking at this, I don't think there's a problem here - try a CTRL + F5 and/or clean your browser cache and it should go away.

Tried that, and switching from Firefox 3.5 to IE 8. The page appears with a white background and the links down the left side. Is this what I should be seeing?

bubba

Administrator
No it shouldn't and checking back again the page has changed for me now. Not sure what the problem is but I'll have a look.