Caving in France with a baby

Lurker

First post in a while - been living up to my name it seems.

Mrs. Lurker and I are planning a trip to the French Massif Central this summer (Ard?che, C?vennes, etc but we're not sure precisely where yet). We'll have with us Little Miss Lurker, who will be 4 months old by then :)

Any recommendations for big, easy, dry walking caves that we can wander into with a baby in a baby-carrier? Show cave recommendations also welcome of course, but we're hoping to get away from the crowds a bit too.

Thanks!

Brains

Some good venues in the Vercors: Charonche, Bournillon etc... The heat in the valleys will not be popular with a baby from the UK but it is cooler to stay on the plateau. Are you camping or going for a gite? Towns like Annecy and Pont en Royans are a good day out. Take plenty of sun bloc and long sleeve tops / hats for little un

mrodoc

I have certainly been to the Ardeche with very small children and apart from doing some paddling in the gorge we looked at several caves one could explore for short distances. There are also some excellent show caves in the Ardeche area. One is reached by a short railway and is very sympathetically developed. One cave we would like to have visited as that would give a nice long easy stroll underground is Grotte St. Marcel in the Ardeche gorge but it was gated.  However somebody on the forum might know the access arrangements.