CO2 in Hillocks / Knotlow

paul

Forgot to mention it earlier... I was on a trip down Hillocks / Knotlow via Whalf Pipe Climbing Shaft the weekend before last (17th July) and last in a group of 3 heading through Meccano Passage.

Keith, who was in front, dropped down a hole about 1m / 3 ft deep about a third of the way along and suddenly felt his heart rate dramatically increase. His sister, Karen, a few metres behind Keith and a few metres ahead of me could hear his heartbeat!

We had been a little breathless getting to the entrance to Mecanno but after a short wait all seemed well so we continued.

As soon as Keith felt this he wisely immediately turned back it was his first time in Mecanno and I had warned him to watch out for anything unusual due to the preceding feelings of breathlessness) and we rapidly exited Mecanno. The air back in the main part of the system seemed a lot fresher but that may have been psychological. We continue poking about in the rest of Whalf Pipe / Hillocks without any problem.

No sign of any smells, nobody else in any of the system and only Whalf Pipe Climbing Shaft open - but other shaft lids are grilles anyway. There were several very heavy showers on our way to Monyash so I imagine the Waterfall in Waterfall Chamber in Knowlow (connects with other end of Mecanno Passage) was flowing quite well which may have affected CO2 levels?

SamT

paul said:
His sister, Karen, a few metres behind Keith and a few metres ahead of me could hear his heartbeat!

:shock:

I wasn't aware that vastly increased heartrate was something to watch out for - though it makes sense since your body is going to be lacking in oxygen and therefore try and pump some more around the body.

Has this always been a problem down there or is it just the last couple of years. If so - whats changed???

paul

SamT said:
Has this always been a problem down there or is it just the last couple of years. If so - whats changed???

Yes - there seems to have been occasional problems with high CO2 levels, in Knotlow especially, for a few years now. It may have been a problem for longer than that but its only since the various shafts were opened in recent years and made the system more popular that the problem has become more significant. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to CO2 levels.

There was a level of 2.8% CO2 measure in KNotlow (normal levels are 0.03%!!). See http://wasg.iinet.net.au/Co2paper.html

Anyway - you forget your digging and get on with The Book!

SamT

:oops:

Actually saw john beck last week - he's sorting me a latest copy of his cave registary - then its time for mega cut and pasting job.

Mark

Paul Wrote

Keith, who was in front, dropped down a hole about 1m / 3 ft deep about a third of the way along and suddenly felt his heart rate dramatically increase.

Same thing happens in titan but I dont think its CO2,

Seriously though the danger of CO2 cant be emphasised enough, I do quite a bit of work in culverts, confined spaces etc, and its amazing how quick you can get the alarms going, some times for no apparent reason